Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Electronics
converter box for nmea 2000 >

converter box for nmea 2000

Notices

converter box for nmea 2000

Old 02-04-2015, 12:15 AM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

On the typical HEFI wiring harness, there is a two wire connector for "CAN network links" to displays or other devices. Below is a pic of an extension cable. Which plug is on the engine harness, male or female?

I heard back on my question regarding multiple ECUs on the same CAN network. Should work, according to the standard network design. However...
Thinking this over in my head, even though there is no reason 2 HEFI units couldn't share a single physical CAN-bus and N2k gateway, most twin engine boats run dual 12v systems. CAN networks are low voltage, and N2k gateways should be "optically isolated" from other power sources by design. So I don't particularly like having a "bridge" between both ECU's on separated 12v power systems unless they share a common ground.. The bus becomes a possible path for a power spike to wipe out both ECU's. Even though one of our two 12v systems is ultimately powering the plotter and N2k network.

So am thinking we should use 2 NEMA gateways, one per engine. Sound correct? I believe that is the proper routing design shown under some N2k documentation I've read. Anything I am missing here?

Hope to get started on a "pair" of prototypes within two week for ya delsol
Old 02-06-2015, 05:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! It's a female connector on the harness side
Old 03-03-2015, 01:13 PM
Registered

Haxby, do you have any customers or contacts in the Detroit Mi area with a running HEFI setup I can possibly work with one day soon. I have the piece of hardware I believe will fit the bill to convert the CAN packets from Holley EFI to either OBD-II or N2k PGN formats we need. However the the developer lives just north of Detroit, about 5hrs away from me. MCU programing is not my gig. So If I can find a running engine closer to him, he'd probably meet with me to whip out the hard stuff in a single day. Saving a bunch of time..

PS your pm box is full.

-K
Old 03-22-2015, 03:37 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

following
Old 04-30-2015, 03:15 PM
Registered

Default HEFI Gateway Updates

Prototype PCB's are done and ready to start software testing.
Some notable board components:
  • Power input range DC: approx. 8-28v
  • 2 galvanic isolated CAN bus transceivers - As per NMEA hardware standards
  • Bluetooth LE modem (switchable) - IOS and Android compatible for soft gauges or diagnostics
  • User flash-able USB port - firmware updates
  • Switchable network termination resistors
  • Switchable Port/Starboard engine outputs (DIP switch)

The PCB case is IP67 waterproof rated, contains standard N2k network drop cable on one side, HEFI CAN plug and extra power leads on the other. This unit can be powered off the network or directly wired into the engine harness.

Hope to complete testing with Delsol within the next two weeks. Once operation is confirmed, we'll take orders for the production run. Nice thing about this design is the firmware can be updated to work with other CANbus ECU's like MEFI units or standard automotive ECU's. The output format can also be setup to do J1939 or other protocols. On the Bluetooth side, we plan to go with Torque for the soft gauges since it works well with IOS and Android devices.

Last edited by kidturbo; 04-30-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Fantastic Ken.

Looking forward to this.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:14 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Excellent News!
Old 05-29-2015, 04:36 AM
Registered

Hardware and software is done.. Try picking something tougher next time...

Tested yesterday with "simulated" Holley EFI data running through twin engine gateways into an actual NMEA 2000 equipped Simrad plotter. Along with your basic engine data, we also displayed throttle position, fuel flow meters, plus drive trim and tab position utilizing the spare HEFI auxiliary inputs. Probably room left for a couple more inputs if needed. Now onto wiring up something that floats, delsol :-)

Oh yeah >> Paging HaxbySpeed!! >> Get in touch please.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:47 AM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by kidturbo
Hardware and software is done.. Try picking something tougher next time...

Tested yesterday with "simulated" Holley EFI data running through twin engine gateways into an actual NMEA 2000 equipped Simrad plotter. Along with your basic engine data, we also displayed throttle position, fuel flow meters, plus drive trim and tab position utilizing the spare HEFI auxiliary inputs. Probably room left for a couple more inputs if needed. Now onto wiring up something that floats, delsol :-)

Oh yeah >> Paging HaxbySpeed!! >> Get in touch please.

Sign me up! This is awesome.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Noland units work great and have awesome customer support.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.