Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Electronics
converter box for nmea 2000 >

converter box for nmea 2000

Notices

converter box for nmea 2000

Old 02-13-2017, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

The ability to data log directly from the gateways was part of the original Bluetooth design we scrapped. You may have that same option available with the new Raymarine MFD however. The other choice is a USB connection to the ECM's directly to log.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to get NMEA data on the cheap. OBDII to Bluetooth adapters are 15 bucks (LM32 based) and they make bluetooth serial to TCP/UDP bridge software. Would the relay the NMEA 2000 Canbus codes without monkeying with them, allowing my gauge software to read it? This is more for depth and such than motor, but kidturbo seems to know his stuff...
Old 06-19-2017, 07:39 PM
Registered

In theory you could take a standard OBD bluetooth adapter, set the correct baud rate, and listen to data on the NMEA bus with a phone or something. However I've never seen it done. It would require custom gauge software as OBD-II and N2k protocols share nothing else in common. Several new chart plotters have bluetooth modems built in, and offer accompany software.

We do have the J1939 to N2k version of the gateways completed if anyone needs them.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kidturbo
In theory you could take a standard OBD bluetooth adapter, set the correct baud rate, and listen to data on the NMEA bus with a phone or something. However I've never seen it done. It would require custom gauge software as OBD-II and N2k protocols share nothing else in common. Several new chart plotters have bluetooth modems built in, and offer accompany software.

We do have the J1939 to N2k version of the gateways completed if anyone needs them.

There are bluetooth serial to TCP/UDP bridges which then allow the android NMEA software to see the canbus streams. Glad to hear you think it will make it out of the OBDII reader, they are cheap enough to toss if it doesn't work. I'll post an update. Anyone with existing NMEA gauges could then have tablet or computer readouts dirt cheap.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:54 PM
Registered

Do you still have these available?
Old 05-16-2018, 04:15 PM
Registered

Yeah think I can take care of ya.
Shoot me an email to: [email protected]
Old 05-16-2018, 05:59 PM
Registered

Email sent.....thank you!

Keith
Old 09-04-2018, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you offer or recommend a display I am thinking of ditching all my gauges and doing one large display
Old 09-04-2018, 06:18 PM
Registered

Simrad and Lowrance units are probably the easiest to configure and have nicest overall gauge layouts. Both are owned by same company and their gauges and menus are very similar. Garmin I find to be a bit more difficult to setup exactly how you want, and page options are less. Raymarine make some beautiful displays, for sail boats... They offer the most options, just not very N2k engine data friendly.

I suggest going to West Marine and playing around with some display models before deciding. That way ya can see how each looks and compare prices. Just tell the rep your most interested in displaying engine data. Those guys know their way through the menus better than most.

-K
Old 10-09-2018, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Simrad and Lowrance units are probably the easiest to configure and have nicest overall gauge layouts. Both are owned by same company and their gauges and menus are very similar. Garmin I find to be a bit more difficult to setup exactly how you want, and page options are less. Raymarine make some beautiful displays, for sail boats... They offer the most options, just not very N2k engine data friendly.

I suggest going to West Marine and playing around with some display models before deciding. That way ya can see how each looks and compare prices. Just tell the rep your most interested in displaying engine data. Those guys know their way through the menus better than most.

-K
Anyway i can run Mercury Vessel View Link through a Simrad with MEFI 4A..??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.