Speaker questions >

Speaker questions

Notices

Speaker questions

Old 06-19-2014, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Abs777
I decided to go with the Kicker 11km6lw. They have led lights and the 3 pairs were under $240 from amazon. Now with the speakers I realize how bad my head unit sounds. I am trying to find a good unit to replace the Clarion XMD1. Is this a single din? Also, any recommendations on units under $300?

Nice speakers. I use Sony marine head units, cdxm60. Comes with remote, it's bullet proof, and inexpensive on amazon. The clarion unit you have is a single DIN hole but the face plate is a DIN and a half. If you use a single din you will have 4 screw holes to cover from the clarion face plate.

Have you thought about a 4 channel amp? Part of your sound problem is the fact that you now have higher wattage speakers, so the spl is lower at the same wattage of your old ones. Takes more power to push the new speakers. IMO every boat should have an amp. And if I were on a limited budget I would always chose an amp over upgrading the head unit you have now...but an upgrade to both would be best.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks 4bus. The amp will probably come next. It has the clarion amp now that pushes the 4 speakers and sub in the cockpit area. The two bow speakers are pushed from the head unit. I get static through all the speakers, I first thought it was the amp, but I unplugged the amp and listed to the two bow speakers and there was no improvement. The Clarion will also periodically kick into "accs" mode, which requires pulling it out and unplugging the wiring harness to reset. It's time for an upgrade, that's for sure.

I am having a hard time finding that Sony, Amazon has some used ones, but I can't find any new.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fusion Head units are about the most versatile on the market right now. The 600 series can be had for around $300ish. I recently installed the 700i series in my boat and absolutely love it. Color display, Internal ipod dock, added Bluetooth, it is NMEA 2000 bus, and also Ethernet capable. The Ethernet is pretty cool. Basically it will plug into a wired network. So what I did was buy a Linksys wireless router (has a 110v to 12v adapter, just cut the 110 adapter off and wired direct to 12v source) at Best Buy for $40 plugged the 700 series radio into it, and then I use an old iphone 4 (in a lifeproof water tight case) to fully control the radio. This make it so there is no need to install the external wired remotes. I can perform every function from my iphone as long as I am in range of the wireless network.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look into these... I got these from a place that advertised them as memphis. I was upset when I got them, but for the price I gave them a shot. They are memphis 2013 line rebranded, they are the exact same thing. Down to the boards and capacitor size and brand in the Xovers. I'm very impressed with there preformance and price.

http://www.djmarineaudio.com
Old 08-21-2014, 10:28 PM
Registered

Memphis Audio
Old 08-24-2014, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 170 Likes on 76 Posts

Caraudiogiants.com

Save up and get JL Audio. I got M770 components for $275/ pair with 3 year warranty.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
I am running 3 sets of the polk DB component, one set of Fusion marine 7", and one set of lanzar 4" metal tweets (along with 3 12 subs in a custom box) The polks are down low and have decent sound quality, have held up for 3 years, and take a good amount of power. I would rate the polks at a 7, they fall a little short in the mid bass dept. The 7" fusion are amazing speakers and really pound the mid bass. If you do a little cutting you can jump up to a 7, which I recommend. They come with 3 grills each (open grill not pictured.) The open grill is paintable to match if you wish http://www.amazon.com/Fusion-MS-FR70...usion+marine+7

Want the sound to really shine? Add a pair of the tweets up high, they fill the acoustic problems of a boat very well. I simply can not explain what a great addition these are to a boat stereo, they come in smaller sizes as well....get them up high http://www.amazon.com/LANZAR-OPTIBT4...lanzar+tweeter

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but do those Lanzar tweeters have some type of cross-over? Did you just wire them in parallel with the Polk DB ? Thanks guys!
Old 03-06-2016, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Br1dgemann
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but do those Lanzar tweeters have some type of cross-over? Did you just wire them in parallel with the Polk DB ? Thanks guys!
Curious about this as well. Thinking I could build a mount for these on top of the dash in each corner under the windshield and point them back into the cabin. The price is right.....
Old 03-15-2016, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just picked up a set of these as well. There is no built in crossover so you need an amp with a high pass filter. I plan to build little enclosures for the dash too.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Also going with the polk.... just put 4 6.5's in my boat replacing the factory ones and sound 1000% better and got 4 on Amazon for under 100.