Need inputs for Wet Sound Speakers >

Need inputs for Wet Sound Speakers

Notices

Need inputs for Wet Sound Speakers

Old 03-29-2015, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need inputs for Wet Sound Speakers

Anyone has Wet Sound XS-808,XS-650 and their subs in their boat cockpit? How's the overall sound while running and raff up?
Old 03-29-2015, 11:42 PM
Registered

I think you will like it. Much has to do with speaker placement. Higher the better.
They are considered a "bright" speaker with their 1" Ti tweeter which helps project though wind noise and the ambient clutter of sound while rafted.
There is a big difference between xs-65 and xs-650. I would definitely go 650's.
808 will have a little "fuller" sound but with good subs, I would take 3 pr of 650s over 2 pr of 808 for extra highs.
Give them plenty of power, they can handle it!

Trying to compete for sound in the water is difficult unless speakers are above the swim pad; think line of sight. That is why wakeboard tower speakers project so well.
In a regular boat, 3 options are build speakers into custom wind screen, install into the transom or set up portable boxes on the dash / sun pad.
Dash is expensive, transom mount swiss cheese's the transom and those speakers will take an elemental beating. Although a little white trash, portable boxes will be most effective dollar for dollar if you want sound while in the water/beached.

Question is how loud do you want and where/when?

Rockford stuff sounds really good too. http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...speakers/punch

Last edited by ChargeIt; 03-29-2015 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:53 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I think the top 2 marine speakers right now are Wet Sounds and JL Audio.....the JL is typically a little smoother and the Wetsounds is a little harsher to my ear, but that loud tweeter is what you hear going across the water. Adding even 1 pair of 808's will give more punch to the midbass. I would do 2 pair of 650's, 1 pair of 808's, and a quality sub if I was doing wetsounds.

Another option that starting to show up more is putting Focal in boats. I'm a huge Focal fan for their speakers and wouldn't hesitate to put them into the marine environment. Focal 6x9's are the speaker that comes factory loaded in Nautique tower speakers and have been for a couple of years. They are more expensive, but their build quality and sound reproduction are 2nd to none.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Personally I went all jl however was just a preference. To be honest I wanted to try out wet sounds as they always seem to get great reviews. I still might change over my mid base and highs to wet sound. I sold fosgate way back in the day. Mid 80's - 1989. Wow... Getting old. Regardless they were awesome! They have been at it a long time and have excellent products as well.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put in a whole wet sounds system, 2 fa10's, 1 set of 650's, 2 sets of 808's, & sinister amps driving them... Sound great, I wouldn't spend the extra dough on jl but some people swear by them...
Old 03-30-2015, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by alindquist
I just put in a whole wet sounds system, 2 fa10's, 1 set of 650's, 2 sets of 808's, & sinister amps driving them... Sound great, I wouldn't spend the extra dough on jl but some people swear by them...
Is it it installed an operating yet? Curious on those 650's and 808's sound. My system is on the shelf and waiting to get my glass work finished however soon with be installing it but again with the jls having a bit of a smother highs may be ok being beached or at the cove but running on the water I'd rather have something a little more abrasive so to speak. Really in a boat you just want it load but clear and plenty of base and having the subs in strategic places so you get the most out of them. I'm firing my subs from my front seat bottoms/bases that I built to spec and aiming them toward the bulkhead. If I run additional I already have my back seat bottom base designed to fire the subs toward the side/sides of the boat. Every application is different though of course however I just felt this was the best giving my layout.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:10 PM
Registered

I think I am going to do 4 pairs of XS-650 and 1 pair of XS-808 and 1 pair of XS-10 for cockpit and SW-65i inside of cabin
Old 03-30-2015, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boat is a formula 330ss, I have the 650's in the arch, a set of 808's down near the floor, & the 2 subs under the drivers seat... I think it sounds pretty good. The other set of 808's is on the transom, I finally got to really try them out last weekend backed up to beach & I think they sounded awesome... Maybe not as good as my buddies rev10's but I wasn't gonna put tower speakers on my boat. I also have a set of 65's in the cabin & they sound good for the small space... Everything is ran through a fusion 700 which I really dig the zone control & the remotes... The sinister amps seem pretty solid but for the price they better be. I've had it installed for a few months.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:07 PM
Registered

Mine will be install in 42 fountain lightning. Going to place order tomorrow for the speakers . Going with SD6 and HD1 for speakers and subs
Old 04-03-2015, 09:22 AM
Registered

Steven I replied to your PM, sorry it took me so long.

I think I answered most of your questions there, but it looks like you're on the right track. The most important thing now is amp selection. For what you are looking at, I'd do the following:

1 Syn4 for the 4 pair of XS-650's. That will be a little short, but I've done it in several boats in the past
1 Syn2 for the single pair of 808's. If you can squeeze another pair of 808's somewhere, you can use the same amp to power both pair.
1 Syn2 for the XS10FA's - get them in the single 2ohm VC version, as that will bring the amp down to 2 ohm stereo, 350W per speaker.

A "best" route:
1 SD6 to power all 4 pair of 650's on channels 1-4, then power the single pair of 808's from channels 5-6.
1 SD2 to power the 2 10FA's in 2 ohm stereo, again using the single 2 ohm VC woofers

Don't forget to add the LED rings to the speakers. That really sets it off.

I just finished up a pontoon for a customer. It has 4 pair of 650's (1 pair is rear-facing transom mounted), 2 pair of 808's, 1 XS-10FA, and had all red LED's. There are pics on my facebook page - "Pro Installz Mobile & Marine". Go over there and check them out. Several other boats we just finished up as well.

To follow up with what Tommy said above, Focal is another great option. I actually sell that brand too. I've always recommended Wet Sounds though, as I've been a dealer for them for almost 8 years. Their product has rarely failed on anyone. I had a Supra wakeboat that I sold in January 2012. The XS650's and Syn amps in that boat were 3 years old when I sold it. They still sounded new. To this day, the current owner has the same system in that boat. That's 5 years that a marine component has lasted. I haven't seen JL or the other brands go that long. Refer to the JL Audio speaker that I posted in another thread.

I'm located in Western KY if anyone is near or passing through the area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.