Garmin 172c >

Garmin 172c

Notices

Garmin 172c

Old 09-08-2015, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garmin 172c

My Garmin screen is getting really hard to see due to the sun. Is there anything that can be done to bring back the visibility? If not, is there a newer model that will fit in the same hole in the console of a 2007 382 fastech?
Old 09-10-2015, 01:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Adjust the contrast and brightness settings. I have the same GPS and it seems like sometimes the contrast and brightness settings get hosed up when I didn't touch them.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:15 AM
Registered

I've tried several different settings, nothing seems to help. It's developed a multi-color haze.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Call Garmin. They are VERY helpful. My 172C would not lock on to satellites. I called them and they said power it on holding the page and power buttons to dump them memory. It worked! I went through the whole manual and it didn't mention that. I was getting ready to but a new GPS. CALL THEM!
Old 04-13-2016, 10:51 PM
Registered

Whistler,

just replaced my Garmin 172c in my 2007 382 Fastec with a Garmin echoMAP 50s. The 50s is the closest in size to the 172c. it is still bigger and not easy to install. barley enough room top to bottom. measure 10 times cut once, you wont need to buy a new dash panel.
the Vessel View had to be moved as far up on the dash till it touches the latch striker (cutting required). The dash latch has to be moved one hole position to the right (cutting required) to clear the Vessel View. Then the existing gps hole has to be enlarged to fit the 50c. It will be as low as it can be in the dash with the vessel view and GPS sun covers will be touching. you can go on Garmin.com and down load the cutout templates before you buy one to see.
All said and done it looks good, the 50s is far better than the 172c. cant wait to use it. you can contact me with any questions.

Jeff H
Old 04-14-2016, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We replaced the 172c in our 382 last year and went with the 547. Its fits the same hole with a little trimming !!!