Gauges from Analog to DIY LCD screen

Notices

Gauges from Analog to DIY LCD screen

Old 02-17-2016, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauges from Analog to DIY LCD screen

Hi
My friend want to buy Welcraft Scarab 33 but he dosent like the look of the Analog gauges so he asked me to adapt my LCD gauge (designed and prototyped by Me) to his boat
The prototype was build to my streetrace car and it looks like that

As a screen we will use waterproof Android tablets (one on each engine)
Additional Android device will be used to display the sea map and data collected from NMEA0183 like speed depth ect it will look like this one

The engine gauge consists of two parts
1. Main unit (silver box on the picture below ) which allows connect 8-12 analog senders all data are collected and send by Bluetooth connection or wifi connection to android device

2. Android device (tablet or phone) with my software to show values and log them into memory (it allows to make graphs ect into excell or similar software)
every value has its Alarm (sound and the cell with this value change color on red )

Main unit also acts as boost controller (no need for it on my friend boat so i can change this to something else ) all settings for the boost controller are made on the Android device then send to Main unit. All the communication beetwen the Main unit and the lcd (android device) is wireless ( Bluetooth or Wifi ) you can see it on this movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FVZ6LKp9JY Now the question for you people. Please advise what measurement should I consider to the boat (all caind of sport has its own problems and dangerous for the engine how it is on the boat what is important to measure what is not ) in my car i use Autogauge sensors (exept egt ) but I can calibrate for almost any sensor (if I can get the datasheet of it or can measure it)
Old 02-17-2016, 11:45 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 981 Likes on 497 Posts

Are you asking what gauges to have displayed?
At very bare minimum (for me anyway) you would need Oil Pressure and Water Temp and Fuel level.
After that you can go as much or little as you want....for me i also like to watch voltage, water pressure and oil temp

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 02-17-2016, 12:31 PM
Registered

Thanks Wally yes the main question is what Gauges should be displayed and are important and what are irrelevant
So
-RPM (in car i have the RPM gauge in standar so i will have to add this one)
-oil pressure (ok present in my gauges)
-water temp (ok present in my gauges in car a have the radiator ect and there I measure temp but the boat engine is cooled by water from lake/sea where to measure it? )
-Fuel level (no problem usualy the sensor in the tank change its resistance so it will be no problem)
-Voltage (ok present)
-Water pressure (no problem but the same question where to measure it)
-Oil temp (ok present in my gauges)
Any other sugestions ?
Old 02-17-2016, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Water pressure you will have to adapt a pressure transducer into the water source usally right after the raw water pump.

I'm running Holley HP EFI in my boat and can monitor all the things listed above, about the only thing I wish I could have built into the gauge would be trim level. That is the only gauge I currently have on my dash. I talked with Holley about adding it but at the end of the day I just add 2nd gauge.

Cool idea I like it!!
Old 02-17-2016, 12:55 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 981 Likes on 497 Posts

water psi i usually measure at the block
other then above you can go as crazy as you want with extra gauges:

vac/boost
fuel pressure
trans temp (If older with TRS or speedmasters)
drive temps
air/fuel ratio - O2 sensor
Out drive trim
Tabs level

All depends on what you want to monitor and how cluttered you want the screens to be

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 02-17-2016, 01:22 PM
Registered

You can monitor water pressure with the Holley set up with the $100 holley pressure sensors. I have one for water pressure and one for intercooler pressure on mine. I don't always monitor it, but it is there if needed.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:28 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,166 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Originally Posted by Quaki

Now the question for you people. Please advise what measurement should I consider to the boat (all caind of sport has its own problems and dangerous for the engine how it is on the boat what is important to measure what is not ) in my car i use Autogauge sensors (exept egt ) but I can calibrate for almost any sensor (if I can get the datasheet of it or can measure it)
Some of us may pay extra for a separate inflated GPS MPH data field . LOL.

Keep up the good work.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:47 PM
Registered

turbom700 thanks if trim level sensor is resistance type (change the resistance when move ) its no problem to add it
Wally thanks again i will try to add trim level boost/vac and fuel pressure
launchpad475 the cost of this tranducer is big the pressure sensor from Autogauge cost half of it it is stainles steel transducer 0-5v 0-10Bar (0-145psi) for the boost/vac I usualy use map sensor from Autogauge (or other automotive map sensor like GM for example) it can read from -1 bar vac to 3 bar boost (-14,5 psi to 43.5psi)
SB the speed from gps i want to place on the third lcd but it can be done on the engine lcd (moust of Android devices are equiped with GPS and the speed is easy to check by this hardware)
Old 02-17-2016, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by launchpad475
You can monitor water pressure with the Holley set up with the $100 holley pressure sensors. I have one for water pressure and one for intercooler pressure on mine. I don't always monitor it, but it is there if needed.

Is that Holleys 7.2" display? If so how do you like it? Do you have there full system(hp efi) I'm just finishing up add twin turbo to my boat along with the HP EFI just wondering if you have any real world feedback.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:49 PM
Registered

I love all of it, not sure what you are asking.. I have the Holley HP, and it's very very user friendly. The Holley DASH is cool, the programability is endless. Any gauge you want, displayed anyway you want, anywhere you want. I have a couple different screens, this one is my normal running screen. One complaint on the DASH is that its not great in sunlight, I find that designing the white back ground gauges shows up better in the sun. I have a screen for tuning, a screen for water pressure and set up, etc. You can catalog with it, and play back or download. Haxbyspeed is our resident holley expert, search for some of the threads if you are looking for info-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.