Head Units with Memory...... >

Head Units with Memory......

Notices

Head Units with Memory......

Old 05-17-2016, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Head Units with Memory......

Who makes a head unit with setting memory if the battery is cut off? My boat is infrequently used and I really don't like keeping the memory wire hooked up. It's also a PIA to redo all of the settings that are lost when the battery is switched off. I notice that I didn't lose memory in my truck when I installed a new battery and I think the Fusion units may have this feature. Anyone else?
Old 12-13-2016, 02:23 PM
Registered

bringing this wildly popular topic back up...
Old 12-13-2016, 02:24 PM
Registered

bringing this wildly popular topic back up.....
Old 12-14-2016, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Almost all of the new head units from a good manufacturer will keep the settings stored if power supply removed. However this will only last for so long. Your truck is the same way. They usually have a capacitor on the circuit board to store energy. When power is removed it keeps the memory do to the energy in the capacitor. The bad thing is they don't keep it for more then a few hours at best that I know of. The only way to do what you would like it have the settings you would like set into the board on the head unit. This would require the factory to set that up I imagine.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:07 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 587 Posts

wire up a cigarette lighter outlet to the memory wire and your ground wire....then before you turn off the main battery switch on the boat, plug in one of these memory savers you can either buy or make yourself. should keep the memory long enough between uses not to loose stations.
Attached Thumbnails Head Units with Memory......-saver1.jpg  

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 12-15-2016, 11:43 AM
Registered

Did a little more research on this and the feature to be looking for is called "eeprom". I have only found a couple so far that have this feature for sure; Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, and some discontinued Alpine. JL and Fusion are rumored to have this feature, but I can't confirm this from their published specs. I'm really surprised this isn't a standard feature on all "marine" head units now that simple control knobs are out and complicated revenge of the nerds menus are commonplace . Its a PIA scrolling through menus to reset your settings, especially when you don't use the unit that often. I would bet the typical, "seasoned" boat owner uses his bot no more than once every 3-4 weeks and leaving the memory wire hooked up is an unwanted draw on the battery. Some head units seem to be worse than others. Most of the solutions out there are more geared for the short term, like changing out batteries. From what I've read, the item above that Wally shows, is more for the short term. If anyone can confirm that a certain head unit has the eeprom feature (or similar), please add it to this thread.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:36 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,353 Likes on 1,501 Posts

If not too difficult, you could run the memory + wire to the battery or back of battery switch.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:13 PM
Registered

You can add JL to the list. This is the response I got: "Yes, the MM100s should keep it's memory and the settings indefinitely even if master power is turned off during the off season or in between outings. The unit does not require a constant 12V connection like conventional car radios (or the car radios rebranded "marine"), it simply uses a switched 12V and ground."
Old 12-15-2016, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wire the memory to unswitched 12v source. the draw would be microscopic and not anymore noticeable than natural parasitic loss.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:50 PM
Registered

It appears the upper end Fusions have eeprom memory also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.