Hand held VHF >

Hand held VHF

Notices

Hand held VHF

Old 07-30-2016, 06:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hand held VHF

Planning on making some long runs this year and will be out of cell phone range on some of them. I currently do not have a VHF and don't want a permanently mounted one. Looking for recommendations for a quality hand held. Popped into West Marine a couple weeks ago and they have so many different models to choose from. What have some of you guys used and been happy with?
Old 07-30-2016, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both a handheld and permanent mount. Something to consider, line of sight is about all a handheld will give you, meaning if you can't see they can't hear you. (Generally speaking)

Get the highest watts handheld you can get.

To answer you question, I have a Icon handheld, best one they offer....I like it.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I was in the EXACT same position as you - I likewise went to West Marine and got more confused the more I looked-- Long and short - one of my clients who does a lot of boating in both lake Michigan and the gulf said there was only one choice and that was ICOM. I got an IC-M36. It is a water resistant and floating model - I have used it a couple of times - not in distress- just talking to other boaters in the area. The feature that I like is scanning (I'm guessing all other brands have this feature) and listen in on what is going on around the area. ICOM in not inexpensive - but as I have always said - you can buy new oats or you can buy the ones that have been thru the horse - those come a little cheaper

All the best

3pointstar
Old 07-30-2016, 11:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,161 Likes on 496 Posts

Not sure how up to date this is now with the way electronics technology changes almost daily but if you don't know much about the hand held units, I thought this link takes you through a few simple facts and some basic info...

http://www.boats.com/reviews/five-fa...ld-vhf-radios/

RR
Old 07-31-2016, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

I did a bunch of online reading, then settled on the Standard Horizon HX280S by using bang for the buck reasoning. And talking with some buddies who work in the marine transport industry.

Has worked great past 4 years, no issues. Battery charge lasts for a good holiday weekend or longer. As mentioned above, range is limited to about 5 miles on high power setting. Maybe a little better line of sight. But if I found myself in a situation swimming with the fishes, I know this radio will be clipped on my jacket and ready to communicate to anything that floats or fly's by...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]557777[/ATTACH]

Pros: price, scan features, dual power levels, battery life, waterproof, floats, rouged design.

Cons: no headphone jack.
Attached Thumbnails Hand held VHF-sh-hx.jpg  
Old 08-01-2016, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if you also plan on using this as distress communication if you ever end up in the water better to get a model with DSC capability, I have an Icom M92D (one for me and one for the wife to take on the small planes to the Bahamas). That way when you hit the distress button any boat/ship in the area with a DSC radio receives your distress call and position.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the Standard Horizon HX300 a few weeks ago. I bought it over the HX290 for the battery life. The water activated light I thought was neat too, but it seems more and more have that function.

I've had many standard horizon fixed mounts in the past and had no issues. I also liked the $50 warranty or whatever it is, where they'll essentially replace it if need be.

Last edited by boats74; 08-01-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

I was just shopping VHF"s and could't find a handheld greater than 1w. I want 25w for greatest range and also DSC. I purchased a Cobra unit with GPS built in from Amazon for $144!
Old 08-15-2016, 12:17 AM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Power is what your gonna give up with the handhelds. If you boat a lot, and don't mind mounting an aerial, there is no substitute for a good high power VHF. Plus the AIS function can be linked to a plotter for a nice addition. But my handheld is always in my bag if i'm going anywhere near the water...
Old 09-08-2016, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Just picked up a Baofeng UV-5R for $28 on amazon. Now this is more of an amateur radio and not necessarily marine but you can program the marine channels into it. I bought it to use at work but ill give it a whirl on the water this weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.