496 HO Ignition Coil Wiring >

496 HO Ignition Coil Wiring

Notices

496 HO Ignition Coil Wiring

Old 06-28-2017, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 HO Ignition Coil Wiring

Help Please! I have a 03 496 HO took it to a local dealer to get the starter replaced once they had it running it was only running on 4 cylinders the lead told me he spoke with Mercruiser about it and there was a ground short in the wiring harness part number 84-881721001 this part is no longer being made and I have searched it internet to find a replacement and I can not. Does anyone have any advise for me is it possible to have a new one made some how I don't have a very large knowledge for electrical components. The tech at the dealer didnt seem to confident that was the problem a 100% I dont have the engine S/N either the top cover was missing when I bought the boat. Any Help or advise would be much need cause the boat is dead as it stands right now thank you.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which harness is that?. FYI : theres not a harness on that motor you can't make yourself in 1/2 an hour. The coil harness clips get hard and crack from heat, these sit on the valve cover. sounds like someone leaned on it and it slightly came apart. worth a check.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:50 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,166 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Amazing how many of these threads talk about a tech who calls Mercruiser. Do they really or do they just try to pass the blame of not being able to diagnose themselves or they simply aren't interested in the job ? Here about this all the time in the snowmobile world too.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

might be a ground open cuz tech left it off after changing starter. whenever you fix something and something else went wrong. in virtually every case, you just did it. look over every connection he could have touched.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:12 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

possible PCM issue coil drivers or the coils themselves. Early GEN 1 coils are not that dependable for the 496. One can pin out / ohms test any wiring harness and its connectors / connections to check them out.. Does this harness have burn / melted spots on it ?

Have to add I am not one to call the OEM 's for any help. haha