Garmin nmea2k and black box stereo help >

Garmin nmea2k and black box stereo help

Notices

Garmin nmea2k and black box stereo help

Old 08-05-2017, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garmin nmea2k and black box stereo help

I have a Garmin 741xs. I am wanting to clean up the console and install a "black box" style radio, that I can control through my Garmin via nmea2k network. Looking between Fusion MSBB-100 and the infinity mbb400. Cannot find any info or reviews on the Infinity, as well as their cust. service doesn't even recognize the product or have any info on it. I want maximum audio adjustability and am worried the Fusion may not have much of that. Only one zone on my 26' Avance, so just looking for a good unit that works well. What do I need to run a black box on the Garmin? Right now it's just the unit. No "backbone". Do I need one or can I simply run a cable from black box to back of Garmin? Also, what's a good black box unit since I don't want a display or remote? I have always liked Infinity stuff but their own lack of knowledge on this product and the lack of web info worries me. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2017, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call Crutchfield.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by class6
Call Crutchfield.
I now know I need a backbone that is powered, however I would also like to see if anyone here has experience with either of these two radios? The Infinity is not sold by crutchfield.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 1,389 Likes on 776 Posts

Not the exact unit you have but i have a 742xs and Fusion 650. You need the backbone to connect them. I will say its nice having the controls right on the Garmin and you can set different displays up.

I have one where I just have volume and track at the top when I am using the chart but can just as easy change to full controls.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 34 Posts

I just installed the Fusion BB100 in my boat and works well with the Garmin GPS.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Not the exact unit you have but i have a 742xs and Fusion 650. You need the backbone to connect them. I will say its nice having the controls right on the Garmin and you can set different displays up.

I have one where I just have volume and track at the top when I am using the chart but can just as easy change to full controls.
Are you saying that the remote isn't necessary? Only asking this because the Infinity unit is only the black box. It doesn't have a wired remote. Can you make pretty quick volume adjustments and such by using the garmin or do you suggest having a separate wired remote?
Old 08-06-2017, 10:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dreamin05
Are you saying that the remote isn't necessary? Only asking this because the Infinity unit is only the black box. It doesn't have a wired remote. Can you make pretty quick volume adjustments and such by using the garmin or do you suggest having a separate wired remote?
don't know about the infinity.

The 650 I have s in the cabin and I control all with the Garmin. No need for a remote. I think I can blue tooth controls to each but haven't needed to.

Yes, even when I am using the chart plotter I have the controls at the top of the screen for volume and track.

If if I want to change source or anything else I hit one softkey and go to full control. To get back it's a softkey back button.

I could text you some screen shots if you like. It really works well
Old 08-06-2017, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

I have the bb100 networked to my simrad nss. If your listening to the radio via a Bluetooth source you don't have any channel changing available on the simrad or older garmins. The newer ones have fusion link app factory installed. I have the fusion link app on a tablet I leave on the boat, stream pandora to the bb100 and control zones, tone etc from the simrad.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

My suggestion is to stick with Fusion if you already have Garmin. It's a nice package.

I have Garmin 7607 in passenger dash, Fusion RA70N headunit in cabin, Fusion NRX300 remote at helm - all of which are connected through a powered NMEA2000 backbone. I considered the black box route, but I already had a hole cut for headunit in cabin. If I didn't have that hole, I would have went with black box.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
I have the bb100 networked to my simrad nss. If your listening to the radio via a Bluetooth source you don't have any channel changing available on the simrad or older garmins. The newer ones have fusion link app factory installed. I have the fusion link app on a tablet I leave on the boat, stream pandora to the bb100 and control zones, tone etc from the simrad.
Interesting do you know when they started putting the app on Garmins? The OP may want to check with Garmin to see if his 741 has it built in.

When I stream bluetooth and am in the full screen mode not only can I change the station, songs, source what ever it will also display the album cover or for Spotify/ Pandora what ever screen they have on.