Best GPS chartplotter for Fountain >

Best GPS chartplotter for Fountain

Notices

Best GPS chartplotter for Fountain

Old 04-09-2018, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I have the 742xs hooked to a NEMA 2000 backbone and fusion stereo.

I like it and the interface for the fusion is great, I really never use the head unit to adjust anything just the controls on the Garmin or my phone app. A friend has the Simrad, nice unit as well. If you have room and choose Garmin I would go with the larger unit.

I do like that it will auto auto route if you have the 2g cards or you can also use homeport on your computer and plan routes out then download them to the unit.

I got my stuff from a OSO memeber that sells and install Garmins.
I also have the 742xs I just recently replaced my factory head unit with a newer kenwood replacement hoping the remote would still work. no such luck. and the bluetooth with their app and pandora doesn't work well with the iphone 8 plus. Using my garmin for this and the engine monitor is now my new plan, which head unit did you go with? MS-RA70N? what harness was needed to connect from the head unit to the garmin?
Old 04-09-2018, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I put the MS-RA70N in our boat - it works great. There are higher end options for the Fusion, but we only needed a Bluetooth connection and N2k compatibility.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ALL_IN!
I put the MS-RA70N in our boat - it works great. There are higher end options for the Fusion, but we only needed a Bluetooth connection and N2k compatibility.
Thats the info i needed. My head unit is mounted in the cabin so I never really use it directly. I don't need anything fancy just something that works with what I have. What was needed to get the N2K hooked up?
Old 04-09-2018, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPIII
Thats the info i needed. My head unit is mounted in the cabin so I never really use it directly. I don't need anything fancy just something that works with what I have. What was needed to get the N2K hooked up?
Just build a simple powered N2k network. Then T's to route a cable to each device.

I started at the head unit, added a T for the 7607, then a T for the Fusion helm remote. It's pretty simple once you get your head around it. I struggled for a couple days during install, as I didn't understand (RTFM) the need for a powered N2k network. That just means you need fused power and ground for the network. Fusion sent me the part numbers I needed for Fusion head unit to 7607 display to NRX300 remote...
T Connector: CAB000581
Power Cable: CAB000541
Drop Cable: 010-11076-00

Shop around for the cables and T's - they are not Garmin/Fusion specific and can be found on Amazon much cheaper.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 1,389 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPIII
I bought the UD650 because I thought I would us the internal slot for my I-pod more but we seem to use the Bluetooth link from every ones phone more now. I also use the controls on the Garmin more or my phone app.

Funny one day we got home from dinner and got out of our car. The boat was in front of the house and my wife had left the cabin power on, it all of sudden connected to my phone and started playing ZZ top "A fool for your stockings". At first we didn't know where the music was coming from just thought someone was partying,,,,,,,,,,, didn't know it was our boat.

For the NEMA back bone you will need a power loop and then cables, "T's" and terminators. I got my stuff from:[img]cid:[email protected][/img]
Ron Muller at electronics unlimited. He is on the board here.
3229 S. Andrews Avenue

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316

PH# 954-467-2695

[email protected]

www.elec-unlimited.com
Old 04-13-2018, 02:37 AM
Registered

The easiest way to start the nmea 2000 network is a starter kit. It's cheaper than the stuff individually and you don't have to make sure you have the correct pieces. if you care about how clean the wiring is, and you don't plan on adding many accessories Actisense has some cool ones that are just a power wire, with a 4 port n2k end.