496 mag ho no start. Code 123 and 133 >

496 mag ho no start. Code 123 and 133

Notices

496 mag ho no start. Code 123 and 133

Old 06-25-2018, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShouldBFarmin
Or a short to ground in a sensor right? If sensor is bad it will put voltage in gound line
No, if the ground line is actually grounded properly no voltage is possible on that ground line, no matter what happens at the sensor. That's assuming the other lead of your meter is on a good ground point.

If it were me I would clean and reseat the connector at the PCM but that should ONLY be done by someone wearing an anti-static bracelet.

Last edited by NightHawk; 06-25-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NightHawk
No, if the ground line is actually grounded properly no voltage is possible on that ground line, no matter what happens at the sensor. That's assuming the other lead of your meter is on a good ground point.

If it were me I would clean and reseat the connector at the PCM but that should ONLY be done by someone wearing an anti-static bracelet.
I keep thinking bad ground too. I've checked plug at pcm exactly the same (gounds, and power) as port engine on every reading .I put PCM of the engine that won't start on good engine I get 5volts as it should and it starts but not when I put it back on starboard. So it keeps leading me back to a bad sensor feeding 2volts into the ground wire through out the whole 5-volt system
I thought if it was a short to ground I would have some resistance in the 5v wires but, not seeing that either . Just 3v on grey wires at sensors I have checked and 2 volts on the black ground wire at respective plugs
Old 06-26-2018, 05:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShouldBFarmin
I keep thinking bad ground too. I've checked plug at pcm exactly the same (gounds, and power) as port engine on every reading .I put PCM of the engine that won't start on good engine I get 5volts as it should and it starts but not when I put it back on starboard. So it keeps leading me back to a bad sensor feeding 2volts into the ground wire through out the whole 5-volt system
I thought if it was a short to ground I would have some resistance in the 5v wires but, not seeing that either . Just 3v on grey wires at sensors I have checked and 2 volts on the black ground wire at respective plugs
The sensor can not feed 2 Volts into the ground wire if it's really grounded. If the ground wire connection is good then there should be 0 Ohms from the ground lead to wherever you are grounding your meter. It's impossible to measure 2 Volts across 0 Ohms.

If however there is bad connection, due to either corrosion or bad pin for example, then you might start to see more than 0 Ohms to ground and it will be possible to develop voltage at that point.

If you're sure the point where you're seeing 2 Volts is the ground connection, measure the resistance from that point to a known good ground with the ignition off. It should be no more than 0.2 Ohms.

AllDodge's diagram shows a +5V harness splice labeled 101. There's also a ground splice (100) in there somewhere. They're worth look at if you can find them.

Last edited by NightHawk; 06-26-2018 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:16 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

A short circuit between the 5 v wiring to ground. Any external sensor and or accessory Smartcraft sensors if improperly connected / or however can overload the 5 V supply. Also anything that was spliced in on top of ---- that should not be there . Any Extra accessories ???.

easy testing is --- discount each sensor one at time until you see the constant 5 V supply.

Also disconnect the main smartcraft accessory harness to see if the voltage problem then corrects itself.

get rid of any spliced in whatever after the fact not from the OEM - including any stereo BS if it was. I have no idea without looking at it.

This is not that hard to fix at all with proper testing and tools. Possible seek out someone that is good with the 555 engines including myself. Good luck

Last edited by BUP; 06-26-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solved!!

If it's the first answer you come to on Google there's a good chance it's right. I did find the most common sensor to go is the water pressure sensor on the raw water pump. I unplugged the bad sensor and I got my 5 volts back at the TPS sensor. I pluplug the TPS sensor in and the engine fired right up.

Thank you for all who helped and problem solved with me. If you're ever in Canandaigua New York and want me to buy you a beer I'll buy all you can drink. Thanks so much!!
Old 06-27-2018, 03:15 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
A short circuit between the 5 v wiring to ground. Any external sensor and or accessory Smartcraft sensors if improperly connected / or however can overload the 5 V supply. Also anything that was spliced in on top of ---- that should not be there . Any Extra accessories ???.

easy testing is --- discount each sensor one at time until you see the constant 5 V supply.

Also disconnect the main smartcraft accessory harness to see if the voltage problem then corrects itself.

get rid of any spliced in whatever after the fact not from the OEM - including any stereo BS if it was. I have no idea without looking at it.

This is not that hard to fix at all with proper testing and tools. Possible seek out someone that is good with the 555 engines including myself. Good luck

Great to know and super glad I posted another great testing tip that helped with the fix plus for whomever down the road. And I quote " EASY TESTING IS ---- DISCOUNT EACH SENSOR ONE AT A TIME UNTIL YOU SEE THE CONSTANT 5 V SUPPLY

Last edited by BUP; 06-27-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 476 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Great to know and super glad I posted another great testing tip that helped with the fix plus for whomever down the road. And I quote " EASY TESTING IS ---- DISCOUNT EACH SENSOR ONE AT A TIME UNTIL YOU SEE THE CONSTANT 5 V SUPPLY
Your the man