Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Electronics
Smartcraft, Vesselview, DTS, NMEA 2000... >

Smartcraft, Vesselview, DTS, NMEA 2000...

Notices

Smartcraft, Vesselview, DTS, NMEA 2000...

Old 09-22-2020, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1999 Formula Fasttech 382, and would like to take all the guages off and go with a digital screen,what do I need to do, or is it at all possible to upgrade to the newer styling?? I have 2 700 Mercs, and I, trying to understand this all and it seems like a RACEPAK setup but for Boats, anyone help me out??
Old 09-23-2020, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by smokin10
I have a 1999 Formula Fasttech 382, and would like to take all the guages off and go with a digital screen,what do I need to do, or is it at all possible to upgrade to the newer styling?? I have 2 700 Mercs, and I, trying to understand this all and it seems like a RACEPAK setup but for Boats, anyone help me out??
the 700sci's? those are smartcraft, build a nmea network, add the vessel view link multi engine and pick a simrad display.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:27 AM
Registered

Hi all,
I might not have all the information to hand in order for someone to answer having read the above and done some searches.

We have a triple CMD QSD 4.2 350 powered boat with Bravo 1 XR drives, which uses basic Smart Craft instrumentation. We have recently installed an NMEA 2000 gateway which works with our Garmin 5012 screen (currently plugged into 1 engine). The problem is that the engines are not linked at all and need to be connected so that we can see engine data from all three engines on the display.

Now I know each engine is setup as 'Starboard' by default and we will also need some form of Link cable between each separate network.

How can each engine be 'named' and what are the options for linking them? (I noticed on the Garmin that there was the ability to name a few things via the NMEA 2000 network would this be sufficient before linking the engines?)

thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by gizard
Hi all,
I might not have all the information to hand in order for someone to answer having read the above and done some searches.

We have a triple CMD QSD 4.2 350 powered boat with Bravo 1 XR drives, which uses basic Smart Craft instrumentation. We have recently installed an NMEA 2000 gateway which works with our Garmin 5012 screen (currently plugged into 1 engine). The problem is that the engines are not linked at all and need to be connected so that we can see engine data from all three engines on the display.

Now I know each engine is setup as 'Starboard' by default and we will also need some form of Link cable between each separate network.

How can each engine be 'named' and what are the options for linking them? (I noticed on the Garmin that there was the ability to name a few things via the NMEA 2000 network would this be sufficient before linking the engines?)

Programing is going to be a dealer visit or buy your own scan tool. Then you will need a j-block

https://www.mercruiserparts.com/878492t16-junction-box-6way

and the extension harnesses from the engine to the helm.

https://www.mercruiserparts.com/879981t20-harness-assy T20 is length of cable so t30 etc.

now... part numbers are what i used for my 525’s and 6.2’s. Call mercury 920-929-5000 with engine seria numbers, and they will plan the whole system for you and give you all the part numbers needed. And tell you if you need to go to a mercury dealer or Cummins dealer for the programing...

Old 11-08-2020, 08:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 30outlaw
Programing is going to be a dealer visit or buy your own scan tool. Then you will need a j-block

T20 is length of cable so t30 etc.

now... part numbers are what i used for my 525’s and 6.2’s. Call mercury 920-929-5000 with engine seria numbers, and they will plan the whole system for you and give you all the part numbers needed. And tell you if you need to go to a mercury dealer or Cummins dealer for the programing...
Hi
Thanks for the reply. We already have J-Blocks in place behind the helm with spare ports plugged into each engine (SC1000 REV counter gauges and other smaller slave instruments).

I guess my question would really be what tool for the programming of the engine.

Our engineer was able to see the engines with his laptop and software (can't remember what the software was) but was unable to configure anything. The bizarre thing is the supplier Barrus (we are UK based) who supplied the software and interface to the engineer then claimed they no longer support CMD QSD 4.2 engines........ but I believe these engines are still available in the US....
Old 11-08-2020, 09:09 AM
Registered

Hi
Thanks for the reply. We already have J-Blocks in place behind the helm with spare ports plugged into each engine (SC1000 REV counter gauges and other smaller slave instruments).

I guess my question would really be what tool for the programming of the engine.

Our engineer was able to see the engines with his laptop and software (can't remember what the software was) but was unable to configure anything. The bizarre thing is the supplier Barrus (we are UK based) who supplied the software and interface to the engineer then claimed they no longer support CMD QSD 4.2 engines........ but I believe these engines are still available in the US....
https://www.rinda.com/marine/marinemenu.htm

again have to research the Cummins side of things. Unknown territory to me....but that’s what the dealer used for programming one of mine.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:25 AM
Registered

Thanks for your advice.

I don't know but it looks as if support for CMD QSD 4.2s in CDS G3 has been dropped - as the engine are not listed in any info I can find, also I can find no mention of CMD QSD 4.2s on Rinda's website - I guess older software is the poteintial answer....
Old 11-13-2020, 01:31 PM
bor
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all,

I had a twin set up and have search internet months for this problem even mercury europe couldnt help me , finally i found that theres a jumper wire near the main engine harness connector on the right back side of the engine that will change engine set up.( its long ago don't know exactly what pins you need )

I also had a loose connection on one of the automatic fuses on top of the engine that gave some trouble ( engines were brand new )

no need to program it thru software on these , soon as jumper is on right pins vessel view will see them

hope this helps

bor

Last edited by bor; 11-13-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bor
I had a twin set up and have search internet months for this problem even mercury europe couldnt help me , finally i found that theres a jumper wire near the main engine harness connector on the right back side of the engine that will change engine set up.( its long ago don't know exactly what pins you need )

I also had a loose connection on one of the automatic fuses on top of the engine that gave some trouble ( engines were brand new )

no need to program it thru software on these , soon as jumper is on right pins vessel view will see them

hope this helps

bor
Thanks - found it mentioned in the workshop manual but doesn't tell you how to set it - but I found reference to it on SB marine's website which explains:"Setting up the MUS (Multiple Unit Synchronization) ID Jumpers on Cummins Marine engines allows the CAN network to properly identify the Starboard and Port engines (which are termed MASTER & SLAVE respectively).

The MUS ID jumper is a 4-pin Deutsche plug located somewhere on the on-engine harnessing. The connector will have a looped wire that tells the engine whether its the master or slave. When pin positions 1 & 2 are jumped together, the engine will be setup as the MASTER (typically the STBD engine). To setup an engine as the SLAVE engine (typically the PORT engine), wire positions 1 & 3 need to be jumped together."

doesn't mention if you can link three engines though - wonder if you short 1 & 4 for third engine????? or will that blow it up