Old 07-23-2018, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 250 Posts

thank you,
Old 08-13-2018, 10:14 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part 3 ignition, never did it before

Cant log into outonsafari so have to continue this way.

The ignition circuit (wiring harness ) has me confused, originally i wanted to splice into
it at the engine cannon plug but i dont know if the pcm would like that.

Example, battery to switch off side
Switch on side to purple wire @ engine harness
Switch on side to momentary
Momentary to red w/ yellow tracer @ engine harness
And a ground to the bus bar.

The wiring harness has a 10ga red wire in it and the installation instructions
Say it can have accys on it not over 30 amps.
Is that wire hot ?
How is hot?
Can that be my 'to switch off side wire' ?

What i need is a flow chart in the simplest terms that includes the alarm horn,
kill switch and nuetral safety switch, the diagrams online are passing me up,
and the 10ga wire in the harness
If not used 'to switch off side', then what, and would an ignition only circuit from the battery have to be 10ga

I think it would go battery-switch-kill-nuetral-purple = completed circuit and running

The ignition switch is an on / off toggle and a button start.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by onsafari; 08-13-2018 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Edit in alarm horn
Old 08-22-2018, 01:53 PM
Registered

On the first 4 pics, this stuff that came with the merc monitor. The mercmonitor i got is the round one that goes into a gauge hole, its called smart tow.
Anybody know if any of it is needed to power up the blue cable and/or the merc monitor ?
No installation instructions came with it, only instructions are how to use it, but you need to be on the geek sqaud to understand it all.

Whatever isnt needed will be given to for free and i will pay for shipping to whoever can clearly explain how it goes together so it works. All i want the merc monitor to do is be the engine gauges so i can scroll thru them or set as the important gauges.

It plugs into the engine no problem 5th pic, and the last pic is the gauge side. I have the gender cable that goes between the blue cable and monitor but have no idea what those other wires are for.

Again all the un needed stuff is new and unopened, and will be given to whoever can set me straight.
There is also a white and chrome bezel for the mercmonitor not pictured that is included

Thank you.

On the ignition circuit, i bought another kill switch and it came with instructions as to where it goes as far as wiring.
The boat side wiring harness came with instructions i couldnt see on the internet and it shows nuetral safety, kill switch, and alarm horn so that issue worked itself out.

Last edited by outonsafari; 08-22-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:17 PM
Registered

Mercury got me sqaured away on the merc monitor.
I did need the "harness version 6.0" that is pictured, it goes from the gauge to the gender cable
which then plugs into the blue cable.
The usb wire and what looks like a cable tv splitter, as well as the "harness monitor power adapter"
i dont need and i think there is a couple more harness new in the bag that came with the transom assy
That may or may not be worth anything, either way ill get it all dug out and pictured, some one can just have it.

The wiring on the boat including the mercmonitor is completed 100 percent, but on the monitor harness there is
an air temp sensor plug, and the monitor i bought came with the sensor (pictured).

The plug ended up right by the pvc tube on the starb side under the dash and i have enough wire, loom, connectors and shrink wrap leftover to make its own harness and install the air temp sensor in the engine room. Thought it might be good to have engine room temp while running.

Install locations could be ;
-at the end of the pvc tube in the engine room
-at the battery
-starboard stringer
-center of the transom, on transom / lube bottle / lube pump areas
-or on the engine cover either rear center or front center above the air intake
The engine is a 496 mag.

Any opinions on this ?
Try to get pics up tomorrow and update the restoration thread as well
Thanks

Last edited by outonsafari; 08-28-2018 at 04:21 PM.