Garmin 720s - Livorsi Speedometer

Notices

Garmin 720s - Livorsi Speedometer

Old 11-03-2019, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Also this has some wiring diagrams
GPS speedo question

I did see a couple places that with that setup you need the Baud Rate in the Garmin set to 4800

Chris
Old 11-03-2019, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueabyss
Also this has some wiring diagrams
GPS speedo question

I did see a couple places that with that setup you need the Baud Rate in the Garmin set to 4800

Chris
Thank you.
I read those threads about wiring, but people say you must connect the blue Garmin cable to ”orange signal cable” or to the ”S” terminal on the Livorsi Speedo gauge.

I dont have any of those. I just have the yellow ”nmea 0183” and the pink ”analog” cable that goes from the Livorsi tac gauge.

According from Livorsi, if I have the Livorsi antenna. The white cable from the antenna should be connected to the yellow ”nmea 0183” cable from the Livorsi tac gauge. And the red and black cable should connect to the harness on the Livorsi speedo gauge.

The Baude-rate 4800 in the Garmin GPS settings is, after I Google searched after it, ”nmea standard” i think.
”NMEA 0183 can be used in two different varieties for Garmin applications. NMEA Standard is the normally used language. This is the NMEA 0183 information sent at a 4800 baud rate. This baud rate is for autopilots, VHF radios, Sounder information, and compass input.”

Last edited by JohanSweden; 11-03-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:43 AM
Registered

After looking at the Garmin wiring instructions I think this is the right wiring.
The blue cable connects to the yellow ”nmea 0183” cable on the Livorsi tac gauge.
And use the same ground for the Garmin and the Livorsi speedo gauge..?

Old 11-03-2019, 09:49 AM
Registered

Garmin GPS hook up to new GPS speedo?
Old 11-03-2019, 09:56 AM
Registered

Exactly, thank you.
And the ground from the Garmin GPS should be connected to the Livorsi Speedo ”ground” I think.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:03 PM
Registered

The Ground for all the gauges is usually Daisy chained to single solid ground on the fuse block at the helm. I would think the GPS and Gauges are all wired to that but make sure Also did some digging and confirmed the Livorsi can only accept data at 4800 Baud Rate. So find that setting and make sure its at 4800.

Chris
Old 11-04-2019, 03:54 PM
Registered

The Ground for all the gauges is usually Daisy chained to single solid ground on the fuse block at the helm. I would think the GPS and Gauges are all wired to that but make sure Also did some digging and confirmed the Livorsi can only accept data at 4800 Baud Rate. So find that setting and make sure its at 4800.

Chris
Yes it should be the same ground.

The blue cable from the Garmin is a 0183 (TX+) output. And should be connected to the yellow ”NMEA 0183” wire from the Livorsi tach gauge.

I connected those cables together + connected the GPS and Livorsi gauge cables to the same ground.
Then I changed the settings in the Garmin GPS to ”NMEA standard” which should be the same as 4800 baud rate.
I also made sure the transmitted sentence - GPRMC was turned on in the NMEA 0183 settings.

I also got information from Livorsi to make sure the settings in the tach gauge is right.
”You have to go into the tach LCD screen and go into the Main Menu and go to Set Up.
Then go to A/D Inputs and select A/D input 2 which is for GPS speed and turn that on.”

I didnt get any satellite connection because my boat is located inside so I cant tell if it works yet. But I will tell if it works when the Garmin can find a satellite connection.

Last edited by JohanSweden; 11-05-2019 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:21 AM
Registered

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Did you manage to make this work?

There is an old, dead, Livorsi GPS speedometer for the rear seat passengers in my Skater, and I am toying with the idea of resurrecting it by connecting it to a Garmin 720.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Never mind

Never mind.

I just ordered 2 SmartCraft speedos.
Old 06-06-2024, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Curious if anyone has any advice for my wiring. I have a Garmin 741 XS and a Livorsi GPS speedo, Garmin works great but cant get the speedo to work. I have the blue wire from the Garmin hooked to the white wire from the speedo and when turning the GPS on the speedo cycles, goes to the 9 oclock position and after GPS signal is required speedo goes to zero or jumps to around 4 mph and will not read speed? I do not see where i can change the output settings on the GPS, I have the same setup as this thread starter and do not see a solution in this string. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.