Garmin GPSMAP 198C Sounder

Notices

Garmin GPSMAP 198C Sounder

Old 11-21-2019, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Garmin GPSMAP 198C Sounder

Hey all,

I have the 198C sounder on my Donzi and towards the end of the season it started to flash a black line or two when powered on and then crap out....I think that its probably shot.

It is mounted on a bracket and wired through the dash...my question: is there a newer model that is plug and play? Using the existing power/connectors? I'm trying to avoid running new wire, making new holes, etc. You guys get the point.

Thanks for any info!
Old 11-22-2019, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Unfortunately No.. That unit had a single plug that combined power, transducer ect together in 1 cannon plug. All stuff now has a minimum of 3 plugs on the back. 1 for power 1 for transducer and 1 for NMEA 2000, Larger units have provisions for radar and such on another plug.. Running wires is not that bad. I usually tie twine cord to the old and pull it out. Attach new to twine and pull it back in. What boat is it? Any pics of the boat and the way it is mounted?

Chris
Old 11-26-2019, 05:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Blueabyss
Unfortunately No.. That unit had a single plug that combined power, transducer ect together in 1 cannon plug. All stuff now has a minimum of 3 plugs on the back. 1 for power 1 for transducer and 1 for NMEA 2000, Larger units have provisions for radar and such on another plug.. Running wires is not that bad. I usually tie twine cord to the old and pull it out. Attach new to twine and pull it back in. What boat is it? Any pics of the boat and the way it is mounted?

Chris
Hey Chris,

Sorry for the late response. The boat is a 2000 22ZX.

Unfortunately, since I'm rather new to the forum I cannot post an image yet. It is mounted above the entrance to the cabin. (Directly into the white "ZX" plate)
Old 11-27-2019, 06:31 AM
Registered

Have to ask are you actually using the sounder other than for depth. Are you fishing out of it? I understand you are using the chart part.
Chris
Old 11-27-2019, 06:39 AM
Registered

LOL, figured that you might ask.

Nope! Not a fisherman what so ever...Solely use it for Accurate GPS Speed, Depth and the Chart.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:32 AM
Registered

Next thing is to find the transducer. Take pic of it then I can give you some recommendations. Also is there a depth finder in dash. If so take a pic of it and look for the transducer it goes to and take a pic. You can email them to me at [email protected]

Chris.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:46 PM
Registered

Thanks Chris,

Sent you an E-mail earlier with the info.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:34 PM
Registered

If you have the room and its in your budget this is a great unit.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/sim000-...8aAsBqEALw_wcB

They Also make a Cruise 7 that is smaller. I have Simrads and Garmins on my boat. I like the Simrads better.

https://mightytext.net/zVrZEs

Chris
Old 11-28-2019, 08:32 AM
Registered

That's a nice looking unit. Looks like it would mount nicely in the same area where the old Garmin was...7in. might fit just perfect. I am just hesitant because I'm not into the whole drilling holes into your fiberglass/transom thing...but it may be a necessary evil at this point.

Is that video of your rig?! Jesus, what a set up!

Coming down to FL for a week for the Daytona 500...may have to swing by and catch a cruise with you on that bad boy!
Old 12-04-2019, 12:04 PM
Registered

Yes its is a very custom setup. We live in Tampa FL but are down at the boat almost every other wknd. It's in Miami area

Chris