Converting 2002 analog boat to smartcraft

Notices

Converting 2002 analog boat to smartcraft

Old 01-19-2020, 03:07 AM
Gru
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting 2002 analog boat to smartcraft

I have 2002 Monterey 282 with all analog gauges and want to put smart craft gauges (Vessel View). My engines are smart craft ready but the outdrives are 2002 Bravo 3 and entire setup is analog. I was wondering what is needed to install Vessel View in them. I talked to several mechanics and get different answers. The primary question is how to convert analog trim senders to digital in bravo 3 outrive. did anyone convert an older boat to digital? Any feedback will be appreciated on what i need to do.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:46 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 164 Likes on 92 Posts

Changing the senders is a pita but is do-able no problem. However I don't thing your engines will have an input for them. If you post one of the engine serial numbers I can try and find out. Also I think the info available from your engines will be limited.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

livorsi makes a mechanical to digital conversion kit, down load their product catalog page 78 maybe what that will help you?

http://www.livorsi.com/pdf/lmi%20volume%2018_rev5.pdf
Old 01-21-2020, 12:01 AM
Gru
Registered

Thank you for the info. That's good news on the trim indicators. I was told I have to change transom assembly for digital trims so changing senders does not sound that bad.
I don't have the serials yet as they have not shipped my engines yet. They are standard 383, could not find scorpions anywhere. Should I ask for different engines? Big blocks will not fit in there as I had hard time removing spark arrestors on 5.0 mpi i had in there. I will ask for serial numbers any specifics on serials I should ask or engine models?
As far as I know form reading I have to have them programmed as port and starboard.
From my understanding I need to convert fuel level senders in addition to trim sender and that's should be it to go full digital on the boat.
I am also considering Vessel View 903 (same price as 703) as I can track all necessary gauges on the screen. I am also wondering if I can do the same on vessel view mobile and put that instead. I seen few screens online but they did not look as nice or complete.
I am also thinking of installing active trim since I am redoing everything.
Anything else I should think of?
Old 01-21-2020, 06:38 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 164 Likes on 92 Posts

If they are new 383's you are all set. Normally when we sell a pair for Smartcraft use we will put together a kit with everything needed and do the programming before we ship. You probably don't need to convert the fuel senders but new ones are not a bad idea. You will need the correct harness.
VV moblile is nice but nothing like having a 703 or 903 on the dash.

Where are you located?
Old 01-21-2020, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

mobile is nice but nothing compared to a mfd!! I am in a similar process as we speak, replacing my orig vessel view race edition with a simrad go 7 and a vessel view link. cheaper than a vessel view 703/903 and its the same thing (703 and 903 are actually made by simrad). the nss evo 3 is a better route over the go series but it comes at a cost.

not familiar with the 383's but I was looking into options on my 2008 525's and even though they are smart craft they are mechanical shift and throttle(not able to be upgraded) and i'm pretty sure for active trim,the prop rotation alert, and mercury's push button start you have to have digital shift/throttle engines.

there are a lot of knowledgeable people here but you can also call mercury direct and ask all the questions you have. 929-5000

https://www.simrad-yachting.com/simr...o7-xsr-no-xdcr

https://embed.widencdn.net/pdf/plus/...b.pdf?u=orhjei
Old 01-23-2020, 02:31 AM
Gru
Registered

Originally Posted by Mbam
If they are new 383's you are all set. Normally when we sell a pair for Smartcraft use we will put together a kit with everything needed and do the programming before we ship. You probably don't need to convert the fuel senders but new ones are not a bad idea. You will need the correct harness.
VV moblile is nice but nothing like having a 703 or 903 on the dash.

Where are you located?
I am located by Chicago. Had to put the engines on hold as my mechanic told me he cant install them in my boat due to horsepower of the engine. He said it can brak my boat. I promised him not to go over 50 MPH So I am off to look for a new mechanic that know the difference between power and torque. Is there a way you can put a kit for me?
Old 01-23-2020, 02:43 AM
Gru
Registered

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into evo simrad. The 903 setup was 2K so hoping to save some money with evo. I was just looking at active trim as it sounded interesting and will reach out to mercury to check on that.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

383's will not break your boat. That does not even compute.
Chris
Old 02-04-2020, 10:00 AM
Gru
Registered

Originally Posted by Blueabyss
383's will not break your boat. That does not even compute.
Chris
Cool. Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.