Need a new depth finder. >

Need a new depth finder.

Notices

Need a new depth finder.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 308 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Need a new depth finder.

The old Lowrence 3400 in my 1990 Fountain 29 has been flakey the last couple of seasons. I currently have the starboard eng out and figured it's a good time to replace with something more reliable. The old thru-hull transducer is mounted in epoxy. Looks like it's going to be a pain to remove. I want to use the original hole on the dash panel which I believe is 2".

A quick look on the web shows a few options. Hawkeye, Hummingbird and Faria are readily available.
I associate Faria as being pretty decent quality, but have no personal experience with their products.
I've had good luck with Hummingbird in the past, but the recent reviews make me wonder.
Never heard of Hawkeye.

Opinions on the above listed options or other options not listed welcome.
Suggestions on removing (or not removing) old transducer also welcome.
Thx!
Old 04-24-2021, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 250 Posts

Lowrance 3400 depth finder replacement | Club Sea Ray

been there, done that, drilled the bigger hole for new transducer.
The 3400/3500 series tranducers run on a frequency no longer supported.
New deth finder means new transducer as well.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 538 Likes on 255 Posts

The Humminbird is the same as the old Livorsi and Gaffrig depth sounders and the Hawkeye is the same as the new style Livorsi and Gaffrig depth sounders.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:24 PM
Registered

I pulled the Lowerence 3400 indicator from dash panel and it's a 2.5" hole. Crap.. Don't think anyone makes a 2.5" dash indicator any longer. I did see some analog type indicators previously and skipped over them. Not sure what size they were or if they had low depth alarms or not. Gotta try and find those again.
Old 04-25-2021, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 538 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by zz28zz
I pulled the Lowerence 3400 indicator from dash panel and it's a 2.5" hole. Crap.. Don't think anyone makes a 2.5" dash indicator any longer. I did see some analog type indicators previously and skipped over them. Not sure what size they were or if they had low depth alarms or not. Gotta try and find those again.
If you know a machinist have them make you a hole pug out of aluminum and then you can cut your hole in the middle of it to use a standard size depth finder. The plug would basically be a gauge trim ring at the same time.
Old 04-25-2021, 01:44 PM
Registered

Good idea! That will be my backup plan. I know a couple of machinst that do work on the side, but they aren't cheap. Last time one of them made me a special stud with different threads on each end. Cost me $85 but didn't have a choice.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 250 Posts

Go to your local welding shop and pick a 4x4 piece of aluminum 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick.
take a 2 3/4 or 3 inch holesaw and cut yourself a disc, then use the approprriate size hole saw for the gauge.
the second holesaw follows the pilot drill from the 1st holesaw a d you have yourself a perfectly centered bezel ring for the new gauge.

on your other thread about doweling the holes, i just use the cheapest ones from lowes, think they're poplar.
throw them in the resin for the last 30 seconds of the mix, fish them out and hammer into place.

i make all my single bolt backing plates/washers by hole saw, then drill out the pilot hole to fit the bolt.
they work great and look fine
Old 04-27-2021, 02:03 AM
Registered

Good idea with the hole saws. I'm always needing a custom fender washer it seems.

After looking around some more, I found the Raymarine i40 depth unit. The body of the unit will fit into the existing hole with 0.33" to spare . The front panel has enough overhang to cover up the slightly oversized hole. I like the large display , multiple alarms and it has red internal lighting that will match my other instruments.

I'm a little concerned about the in-hull transducer mounting. The Raymarine transducer glues, to the bottom of the bilge, a short bent ~4" pipe to get the transducer level. It's supposed to be filled with RV antifreeze and it's supposed to be checked periodically to make sure it's still full. Once the eng is back in, there's no access to this thing.

Found where someone claimed success by filling pipe with clear RTV instead of antifreeze. Not sure abt how well sound waves will travel thru RTV.

Anyone been down this road before??

Last edited by zz28zz; 04-27-2021 at 02:09 AM.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:56 AM
Registered

Just discovered the Raymarine i40 doesn't have the power to reliably use a in-hull sensor. Sensor has to be touching the water (i.e thru-hull transducer). Back to the drawing board..
Old 04-30-2021, 09:56 PM
Registered

Spoke to Raymarine rep. The i40 can be used with an in-hull transducer but the transducer must connect to a itc-5 (or something like that). It takes various analog sensor signals, converts to digital and broadcasts over the Seatalk network.
All this comes to >$600. Another option is to use their i50 Depth instrument which is roughly $200 more abt but doesnt need the $200+ itc-5. Don't have room for the i50 anyway.

VDO makes a really cool analog depth display but it's too big and looks like it needs some type of network also.

Autometer makes a composite 2 5/8" to 2 1/16" gauge mount adapter that looks ok. I'd have to grind it down to 2 1/2" to fit the existing hole. May go that route if I wind-up with a 2" Depth gauge.

I'm concerned a 2" display is going to look out of place for this particular installation but the pickins are pretty slim. Guess everyone's going/went to MFDs nowadays.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.