Smart craft to MFD conversion >

Smart craft to MFD conversion

Notices

Smart craft to MFD conversion

Old 03-07-2022, 05:22 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Smart craft to MFD conversion

My boat is set up with a smart craft vessel view race edition (monochrome), on twin 700sci. The most important thing on my screen is the digital trim and tab as the boat doesn’t have analog indicators.

I would like to convert to a SIMRAD MFD but I’m questioning if I need the expensive vessel view link to make this all happen?

the boat has the smart craft and two Analog gauge interface boxes. What is feeling the current smart craft? And can that be used to feed a MFD?
Old 03-07-2022, 07:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 538 Likes on 255 Posts

This is what I used when I added my MFD. It works great and shows all gauges including boost. https://www.mercruiserparts.com/merc...151748-gateway
Old 03-07-2022, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
My boat is set up with a smart craft vessel view race edition (monochrome), on twin 700sci. The most important thing on my screen is the digital trim and tab as the boat doesn’t have analog indicators.

I would like to convert to a SIMRAD MFD but I’m questioning if I need the expensive vessel view link to make this all happen?

the boat has the smart craft and two Analog gauge interface boxes. What is feeling the current smart craft? And can that be used to feed a MFD?
You will need a vessel view link (multi) to do this right. You'll also need an NMEA backbone, consisting of drop cable to the Simrad, a power connector, a drop cable to the Vessel View Link, and terminators for each end of the backbone.

The smartcraft instruments you have now, speak Mercury. The vessel view link module is needed to translate Mercury to NMEA2000, which the Simrad is able to understand and display.

Last edited by DrFeelgood; 03-07-2022 at 08:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
IGetWet (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 298 Likes on 142 Posts

With the new smartcraft connect you do not need to stay with Simrad to see all the smartcraft info like you previously had to. it’s also Bluetooth so you can download the Mercury app and get everything on your phone or tablet. Here’s an article about it:

https://www.speedonthewater.com/smar...eon-units/amp/
Old 03-07-2022, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

You need this..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/25541373381...saAqRKEALw_wcB

And a long extension harness that goes from your engine bay to the the box in that link. Part number on the Harness depends on length you need. Call Merc and they can help you out. There are 2 types of harnesses. old one that uses terminators and does not come with terminators. And the new ones that have the terminators built in. Get the new ones .I dont know if you will need 2 harnesses or not. I think all data can travel over 1 but not sure. The Harness goes from the engines to the box which usually is placed under the helm. Then the box converts the Data to NMEA 2000. Then plug a NMEA 2000 Cable into the box and run that to your NMEA 2000 network then NMEA cable from that to your Simrad. It is a lot of expense and a lot of cable/harness crap but its cool when its done.

Chris
Old 03-07-2022, 09:24 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the input, but unfortunately there are so many options it added to my confusion. I made a call to Mercury and discovered something pretty amazing that solves my dash real estate issue.

the vessel view 403 has its own processor, it’s the only display they offer that doesn’t need the vessel view link box. Because my boat is already digital to the helm, with a junction box, the vessel view 403 will plug in where my old display is AND it has full NEMA out so it will feed any MFD. so in essence its a display that is the same price as the vessel view link box but has the same output.

I’m going to add this new color unit where my current vessel view is, then nema out to a new larger mfd to replace my 3206 that is offset to the left and have redundant smart craft on both, plus rsdio head unit control in the network
Old 03-07-2022, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Just be sure it's capable of handling multiple engines.
Old 03-07-2022, 02:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood
Just be sure it's capable of handling multiple engines.

confirmed. Thank you for the help
Old 03-07-2022, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,165 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Ron what boat do you have ?
Old 03-07-2022, 06:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Ron what boat do you have ?
nor-tech 3900 super vee

The following 2 users liked this post by 4bus:
F-2 Speedy (03-07-2022), Gimme Fuel (03-08-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.