Trying an IMCO 2" shorty on my Twinstep >

Trying an IMCO 2" shorty on my Twinstep

Notices

Trying an IMCO 2" shorty on my Twinstep

Old 01-05-2002, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Trying an IMCO 2" shorty on my Twinstep

I just bought a 6hr XZ from "Sterndrivespec" with an Imco 2" shorty. It may be too tall for the already high x on my twin step but now we'll know. Unfortunately my 25' Daytona is stored for the winter so I won't know til late march or so. worst case I'll need a 1" spacer. I know the 2" shorties pickup 5-6mph on the 1.75" lower x single step. I'll fill in the results when the time comes. I also bought BC's Merc labbed 28 so that should be good for a few also.
Old 01-06-2002, 10:06 AM
Registered

Catitude,
Please post your results good or bad Ihave the same twin step hull and will very interested in your results.
Old 01-06-2002, 07:03 PM
Registered

Bust it out for a test run!
Old 01-06-2002, 09:58 PM
RON

Yea, the weather can't be that bad, down there in Arkansas!!

And if you don't like that 2" shorty, you can make me a smokin deal on it ,and i'll try it on my single step 25!

Old 01-07-2002, 09:29 AM
Registered

You guys don't watch the weather channel, It's 30 degrees, I've got an inch of snow and I just got back from pulling wy wifes MR2 out of the ditch- Car & wife- I mean wife & car are both ok . I'm sure once all the parts actually get here it will be awfully tempting- of course there's that lack of insurance thing.
Old 01-07-2002, 03:02 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Update- I called Imco to ask about hooking up the speedo to the shorty (Need to use Pitot on transom) and asked about the 2" shorty for my twinstep- they sent me to Jerry May at Eliminator. I've talked to Brent and Mike before but never Jerry. Jerry is the dial in guy. He set up the twin step that did 127 in the PB shootout and has had twin step 25's up to 138 mph. Jerry told me that the 2" would work fine in the twin step and that they had tested with even higher x's. He sid it would likely slip a little out of the hole but would be faster for sure. I asked if there were any negative effects that I would be compromising- he said that it would drift more in the high speed turns (2" less rudder in the water too) instead of carving but that you get used to it, also all else being equal I'd have to slow down a little more to execute the turns (that's ok with me). He did say I might have to bump to a higher prop size but to try what I had for now. I'm very encouraged by this news from a man with this experience and credibility.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have that problem at speed with it wanting to move sideways. Can the skeg be welded on and made 2" longer?
Old 01-07-2002, 06:29 PM
Registered

CM- I had the same thought- I'm betting it can- it would be great to get the AMS spec of the alloy- I should be able to get that from IMCO. One of my buddies is an awesome tig welder- does aerospace stuff and go-cart frames- I stick to the mig gun myself.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:57 PM
merlin540

i had 2" shortened cases on my 27 daytona and i added 3" to the skeg. you have to weld it on with a high frq tig. any good fab or welding shop can do this and it will stay on. mine stayed on at 122 so i know it works.

Old 01-08-2002, 11:51 AM
Registered

you should pick up speed i have done three older daytona's and they all picked up 8-10 mph the prop will blow a little as far as the speedo why not put a gps speedo in it they work so much better good luck and post the results i have two guys with 25's (twin step) daytona's wanting to do the same thing

Quick Reply: Trying an IMCO 2" shorty on my Twinstep

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.