Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Eliminator
27 Daytona Drive Help, blown drive, upgrade? >

27 Daytona Drive Help, blown drive, upgrade?

Notices

27 Daytona Drive Help, blown drive, upgrade?

Old 06-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 27 Daytona Drive Help, blown drive, upgrade?

My drive on my 08 27 Daytona went out on friday night, It had about 5hrs on it, it is a standard bravo 1, the real question I am looking for is. Will my 27 daytona with a 496ho benifit from a shorty lower unit? will it pick up speed? or should I just stick with the setup I have now? thanks for all your impute
Old 06-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Registered

Any idea what caused it to fail so fast?

Is that boat too heavy for a standard Bravo X (I'm assuming it's an X)? I would think the XR would be a better upgrade than a shorty, unless there it was a clear case of defect/abuse which broke it?
Old 06-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Ara
Registered

That was fast. How did the drive break? I'm sure someone will chime in pretty soon about the drive height. It depends on how your boat was setup. How much below the bottom of the boat is the center of the propshaft? I'm actually going to try a shorter lower on my boat in the next few weeks.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Registered

The boats dry weighs 4800lb, it had a 1/2 tank of fuel, one passanger and 1 driver, and was on the water for about 10 minutes before it broke. I was going about 40/50mph I dont really know because the speedo is broke also, they are fixing that aswell right now also. I think it was just a defective drive, but if I could pick up a few mph and maybe a small roost :-), I might upgrade. If not I will just keep my stock, under warrenty setup.

Last edited by turbo94gto; 06-02-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Registered

B,

Call Eliminator and ask them what they think. They gave me some good guidance on the old boat. Probably worth the call. I would be willing to bet they tell you to go at least with a 1" shorty to get some more speed. You should also consider throwing the XR back on there. Maybe Joe can work something out with you.....
Old 06-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

My '07 28 Daytona with 496 HO's came with stock Bravo X's. I broke 2 in my first summer with it (one upper on one side, and a prop shaft on the other side)

I was upgraded to XR's and didn't have drive problems after the upgrade. Although, I only ran the boat for another 3 months after the upgrade before trading it in on my coupe.

Another factor to consider is the water you run in. If you run in Havasu or places like that which are typically calm water and you rarely get air, you'll get more life out of your X's than someone running the same boat in bigger water. The load/unload of running in rough stuff at high rpms when you props go in and out of the water can put tremendous stress on your drives.

It is probable you will gain a few mph's on shorter drive - depending upon how you're propped and what your x-dim is today.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Im not sure with a 496 that you would pick up and speed. I know those 27's with a 525 usually pick up a couple mph with a shortie,but the 496 wont push it fast enough to free the hull up and see the same benefits.