Notices

Eliminator education

Old 09-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stormbauer
Adrenaline,

You know anyone with 33 Daytona? Trying to dial in and looking for some suggestions before I just start changing everything.
Glad to see another Elim in the "neighborhood".

hmmm - in our geo I don't know of one that I have seen - there aren't many of us here in upstate NY. There is a red and white one in the thousand islands - used to be Paul Creek's boat - just can't remember if it was a 30 or a 33....and it was a bit newer than yours (ie. 2005 I believe).

What is your setup right now? - I'm sure if you post that, there will be boyz that speak up on the successes they've had.
1. Motors
2. Drives - type and gear ratio
3. x-Dimiension
4. Props (make, number of blades, pitch)
5. Top speed your seeing and your RPM's at that top speed.

If you post the above I'm sure you'll get some recommendations.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Registered

I see you make the trip to Seneca Lake for the Run I assume? I have a couple of friends that try and make it there each year, most have been going for the last 10 years or so. Wanted to make the trip but timing did not work out. I am going to start a new thread with my set up to try and get some advice on setup. Since this is my first cat, I have spend the year learning to drive, now its time to dial it it.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:00 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I see you make the trip to Seneca Lake for the Run I assume? I have a couple of friends that try and make it there each year, most have been going for the last 10 years or so. Wanted to make the trip but timing did not work out. I am going to start a new thread with my set up to try and get some advice on setup. Since this is my first cat, I have spend the year learning to drive, now its time to dial it it.
Yup - I made both Seneca Lake runs (Pirate Run and Battleship Run) this year.

You think you had some learning to do...I moved from a 40' Carver Motor Yacht to my first cat - Eliminator Daytona 28 ICC. Some of the best money I have spent was taking Tres Martin's Performance Boating Class. It's a 1.5 day class that teaches you the science and the art of driving these cats. I had 17 years of powerboating under my belt, and 2.5 years of running cats and still walked out of that class truly understanding how I SHOULD be driving this cat. Bad things can happen when Cats aren't trimmed correctly or when they are not turned correctly - in this class you learn how to keep bad things from happening and why they do happen if you don't do them correctly.

Hopefully we'll see you on the Poker Run circuit next season. Thanks to McMillan's effort - looks like this year I'll have some company - should be a handful of us Elim owners running together.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrenaline Junkie
So, the fact that you're listing 28,30,33 as your desired boats, leads me to conclude you've already made your mind up that you want a Cat (Daytona). Which you'll love! I'm in my second.

I typically run Lake Ontario (living in Rochester) - very similar conditions to Lake Erie - but ran my previous Daytona (a 28) last year in Lake Erie.

In my 28 anything over 3's became uncomfortable - not to mention can wreak havoc on your drives if you're trying to run hard - the surfacing of your props - load/unload put tremendous strain on those drives - especially bravo style.

My 28 loved 1-2 footers - could run 100 in those and actually feel very comfortable - even in the washing machine lake snot we get here in the great lakes.

My 36 handles the lake snot even better. While I still don't get on the hammers in anyhting over 3's in this boat - it stomps the lake snot even better...no surprise there....I've run 115-120 in 1-2 foot lake snot in my 36 very comfortably - once with my 65 yr old mom in the boat During a recent poker run on Seneca Lake - we were running 110mph in 2 foot - occassional 3 and my fender wenches in the back claimed they could have painted their toe nails during the run - now that would have been a sight.

My 28 was an ICC, my 36 is a coupe - love the visibility in my coupe and the fact that my crew doesn't get wind-beat by high speed winds.

My advice would be to buy the most length you can afford. It is our friend in this lake snot.

You are welcome to come to Rochester and see the layout of my 36 - and/or while here you could arrange to see a couple of 28 Speedsters just sold - at McMillan Marine - which is just a couple of miles from my house. Contact Mark McMillan at 585-738-6112 if you want to make arrangements to see those speedsters - they were just ordered in September, so you're probably a 3-6 weeks out until delivery.

For 110mph-115mph - that is where my 36 runs with 625 Ilmors - I've seen 124mph in ideal condidtions, but on any given day I can typically get us in the 110mph range.

For the 28 to run those speeds you'd need at least 525hps dialed in w/the right props, drives, etc...the 496 hos will only get you to the low 100's.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. I think we may have met two years ago at the WNY fun run when you had your 28.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I live in OP. Currently my boat is in storage that I cannot get to for about 3 week. I am in the process of building a garage and the boat will be at my house after that. If you can wait I can let you know when I have everythinf settled!

Also boat both river and Lake. This year I launch several times at Stergeon Point when going to Sunset. About same distance from my house as Erie Basin.
I would like to know when you get settled so we could meet and get a look at your boat. Thanks Tom.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by tbanzer
Thanks for the reply. I think we may have met two years ago at the WNY fun run when you had your 28.
That was actually my first Poker Run that I ever drove in. Had a lot of fun in that run - then "A monster was created" I can't get enough of them.

I distinctly remember the turns around the island in the 4th and 5th leg - it was waay cool. Leg 3 was cool too coming back in out of lake erie into the niagara under the bridge running along side of a surprisingly fast Sunsation.

Poker Runs America had a cool shot of my 28 from that run where I had a little air (wish I would have done a better job washing my bottom before attending that event ).

I had every intention of being at that run again this year, but the weather was so crappy that I decided to not to go at the last minute..I was looking forward to debut'ing my 36 at that run. I plan to do it next year if the weather cooperates.

Will you be there with an Elim?