Eliminator education >

Eliminator education

Notices

Eliminator education

Old 09-27-2008, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Eliminator education

I have a HTM sr24 and Im looking to move up in size to a boat that will handle Lake Erie better. Trying to get educated on Eliminators. Not sure if I should go with a 28,30 or 33. Want to do 110-120, not real crazy about canopies, need enough room under the cuddy so my wife can use the porta potty and it needs to be able to take 3-4' rollers, and not porpous. I test drove a 31 Awesome and was not impressed with the layout and size of the cabin or cockpit. It looks like Im wanting another west coast boat and Elimimator seems to be near the top of the Quality list.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are going to need 30 or 33 if you want to tackle 3-4 foot rollers. Even with that it will handle way different that a traditional "V" boat of the same size. Not sure about other Brand Cats but after a year of driving my 33' I still am learning especially in any rough sea's.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 692 Likes on 276 Posts

lake erie..3-4' rollers..you must be on the east end, here on the west end we have 2-5' washing machine slop. long straight hulls are popular on this end.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:17 AM
Registered

Oh ya, that is the other thing when there is 3-4 foot rollers most of us would prefer the river since where would you be going in that type of wheather.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by stormbauer
I think you are going to need 30 or 33 if you want to tackle 3-4 foot rollers. Even with that it will handle way different that a traditional "V" boat of the same size. Not sure about other Brand Cats but after a year of driving my 33' I still am learning especially in any rough sea's.
Where abouts in Buffalo are you? I live in Angola and spend most of my time betwen Mickey Rats and Sunset Bay. I would like to Look at the layout of your boat if Possible.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by stormbauer
Oh ya, that is the other thing when there is 3-4 foot rollers most of us would prefer the river since where would you be going in that type of wheather.
I go to the river a few times a year but prefer the lake. Dont usually go out in any more than 2 footers but even then at times we like to duck inside the bays to be protected depending on wind direction. Some days I like to launch at Stuergeon Point and go to Buffalo, but as you know Lake Erie can go from calm to 3 footers in 15 minutes and its not fun if you have an hour ride in front of you heading into the waves.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Registered

I live in OP. Currently my boat is in storage that I cannot get to for about 3 week. I am in the process of building a garage and the boat will be at my house after that. If you can wait I can let you know when I have everythinf settled!

Also boat both river and Lake. This year I launch several times at Stergeon Point when going to Sunset. About same distance from my house as Erie Basin.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by tbanzer
I have a HTM sr24 and Im looking to move up in size to a boat that will handle Lake Erie better. Trying to get educated on Eliminators. Not sure if I should go with a 28,30 or 33. Want to do 110-120, not real crazy about canopies, need enough room under the cuddy so my wife can use the porta potty and it needs to be able to take 3-4' rollers, and not porpous. I test drove a 31 Awesome and was not impressed with the layout and size of the cabin or cockpit. It looks like Im wanting another west coast boat and Elimimator seems to be near the top of the Quality list.
So, the fact that you're listing 28,30,33 as your desired boats, leads me to conclude you've already made your mind up that you want a Cat (Daytona). Which you'll love! I'm in my second.

I typically run Lake Ontario (living in Rochester) - very similar conditions to Lake Erie - but ran my previous Daytona (a 28) last year in Lake Erie.

In my 28 anything over 3's became uncomfortable - not to mention can wreak havoc on your drives if you're trying to run hard - the surfacing of your props - load/unload put tremendous strain on those drives - especially bravo style.

My 28 loved 1-2 footers - could run 100 in those and actually feel very comfortable - even in the washing machine lake snot we get here in the great lakes.

My 36 handles the lake snot even better. While I still don't get on the hammers in anyhting over 3's in this boat - it stomps the lake snot even better...no surprise there....I've run 115-120 in 1-2 foot lake snot in my 36 very comfortably - once with my 65 yr old mom in the boat During a recent poker run on Seneca Lake - we were running 110mph in 2 foot - occassional 3 and my fender wenches in the back claimed they could have painted their toe nails during the run - now that would have been a sight.

My 28 was an ICC, my 36 is a coupe - love the visibility in my coupe and the fact that my crew doesn't get wind-beat by high speed winds.

My advice would be to buy the most length you can afford. It is our friend in this lake snot.

You are welcome to come to Rochester and see the layout of my 36 - and/or while here you could arrange to see a couple of 28 Speedsters just sold - at McMillan Marine - which is just a couple of miles from my house. Contact Mark McMillan at 585-738-6112 if you want to make arrangements to see those speedsters - they were just ordered in September, so you're probably a 3-6 weeks out until delivery.

For 110mph-115mph - that is where my 36 runs with 625 Ilmors - I've seen 124mph in ideal condidtions, but on any given day I can typically get us in the 110mph range.

For the 28 to run those speeds you'd need at least 525hps dialed in w/the right props, drives, etc...the 496 hos will only get you to the low 100's.

Good luck.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Registered

Adrenaline,

You know anyone with 33 Daytona? Trying to dial in and looking for some suggestions before I just start changing everything.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Registered

Default Your Eliminator Dealer

We are your local Eliminator dealer and can confirm your thoughts about Eliminator being the right boat for you. We have been puttting quite a few Eliminators into the local marketplace with nothing but raves. If you are in the market now, Eliminator is passing out some pretty healthy deals. If interested, give me a shout at [email protected] for more info and visit our site at www.mcmillanmarine.com .

Quick Reply: Eliminator education

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.