Transom mt speedo pick ups >

Transom mt speedo pick ups

Notices

Transom mt speedo pick ups

Old 03-19-2002, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transom mt speedo pick ups

Now that I've got the shorty, it looks like I'm going to a transom mt speedo pickup as I'm too cheap to buy the GPS speedo.

With that said- are there any particular do's and don't or does anyone have hardware preferences? My intent is to go off the right sponson, maybe 1-2 " in from the edge of the tunnel. I dont know if it will be best to mount on the transom and just extend down the depth of the notch + to get the pickup in a steady stream or if I'm better off mounting it on the vert surface that makes the front of the notch (or even if hardware that short is available). Once thru the transom I intend to plumb into the existing line that now goes to the bravo.

any thoughts or ideas?
Old 03-19-2002, 06:03 PM
Registered

don't drill any more holes put a gps speedo in it i can get you a pretty good deal on one
what kind of speedo do you have now?

i had a gaffrig pick up on two of my boats i couldn't get them to last and the others didn't read right

let me know if your interested in a speedo
Old 03-19-2002, 07:07 PM
Registered

Just bite the bullet & get a digital GPS speedo. I said digital. I promise you will be happy with that. By the time you get frustrated with the transom mount you you will still need to go & buy the GPS.

Only problem with gps is you know you are lying when you tell someone your boat is 10 mph faster than what your speedo says.

Last year when I got mine they were all made by the same company, just everone puts their own name on it.
Old 03-19-2002, 07:28 PM
Registered

Default You're twisting my arm!

Khadley- sent you a PM. I've got two pickups on my ski boat- so I know they can be a little fussy but generally happy with them. I've got an etrex for speed runs and I've already got an extra fitting in my transom due to poor planning on my part. Still- I may go GPS when the dust settles. My factory speedo was always within 1 mph of GPS believe it or not.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Go with the GPS. Buy the time you go through a couple of pick-ups, you could have your GPS. I bought the analog version and connected it to the data port of my dash mounted handheld.
Old 03-20-2002, 07:20 PM
Burnin' Love
Gold Member

I gotta go with the concensus, GPS is the best way to go. Had the Gaffrig Tattletale on my 250 Daytona, with the kick-up pick-up, tried various length pick-up tubes,none of which gave great results.Of course it was impressive when I got some air around the pick-up and it burried the tattletale needle at 120.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:06 PM
RON

I have the transom mounted pickup on my 25 daytona, and after 81 or so MPH it just starts dancing around (packin air in it), so i just use the hand held GPS.

Good luck,
RON...

Old 03-21-2002, 03:45 PM
Uncle Toys

Come on buddy, you dumped more money in gas coming out for the jeep competition! I bought the Nordskogwhatever (sp?). It works with the sending unit (the little black thing that looks like a computer mouse) under the dash.