2001 Eliminator 36 TEMP problem....???? >

2001 Eliminator 36 TEMP problem....????

Notices

2001 Eliminator 36 TEMP problem....????

Old 07-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuke800
Both water pump impellors where replaced before it went in the water this year.
Who did the impellors? I have helped many people out on the lake with engines overheating & first words they say is they just had impellors replaced. I follow the hose from pump to first cooler. Remove the hose and pull parts of the old impellor out. Put it back together and problem is fixed.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:42 AM
Registered

I did them and all internals of pump look fine. I took them appart a sechond time after the problem was still ongoing. I will look into installing water pic-ups. If anyone has pic's of there transoms for location it would be appreciated. Thanks..
Old 07-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

No there are not Thru-hull water pickups on this boat. Only pick-ups are the low water pick-ups from the XR drives.
I'm not a mechanic, but both of my Elims had thru hull pickups with pressure sensative strainers.

I would imagine that the higher your x-Dimension, the higher risk you have of starving your motors for cool water at high speeds.

However, I would be surprised if previous owners would tolerate this behavior, so it must have worked without thru-hull pickups at some point - Has your X-Dim been changed? My X-Dims on both my 28 and 36 were right about level with the bottom of the sponsons (ie. you could also look at lower your xdim, but will probably have other consequences (some good and some bad).

I would suspect thru-hull pickups with some sea strainers would solve the problem pretty quickly, but would cost a little $$.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Registered

I did them and all internals of pump look fine. I took them appart a sechond time after the problem was still ongoing. I will look into installing water pic-ups. If anyone has pic's of there transoms for location it would be appreciated. Thanks..

Follow the water intake hose after the water pump to the first cooler. Remove Hose. Check and see if any part of cooler is blocking off cooler. If there parts of old impellor there it will be causing the problem you are having.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Registered

I will post a few pic's tomorrow and take some plumbing appart.. Maybe get of discovery work going on.... Thanks
Old 07-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Registered

I used to have problems picking up small pieces of floating debris...like sticks of wood that would go up into the drive and get stuck then start to overheat the motor's...dealt with that for one season and went to thru-hull pick ups and strainers with never another problem.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Registered

I replaced the impellor on my left motor last weekend because it didnt have the same water pressure and was getting hotter than the right motor. The first time I took it out I was cruising around about 60 and all was good but when I got on it temp shot up. After limping back to the dock I saw the I blew a whole in my hose because I had parts of my old impellor stuck in the hose. Cleaned them out and put on a new hose and all is good now.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:44 AM
Registered

JDNCA1 Did you eliminate water pickups from drives when you installed thru-hull?