Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Eliminator
Trouble with SCX -4  on 27 Daytona >

Trouble with SCX -4 on 27 Daytona

Notices

Trouble with SCX -4 on 27 Daytona

Old 12-31-2015, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saw this thread. My RPM 26 came with the SCX-4 and is still on it. It ran 123 mph with a 760hp 598. A 35 pitch Herring #6 spline is the only prop I have used. The boat was pretty well dialed in from Steve at RPM.

I have since added a 4.5L Whipple. It can now run about 130, but I usually back off around 128. I did have Brad at E ticket blueprint the lower. I think he originally solved IMCO's problem with this drive and they have now incorporated these changes into their designs.

The main advantage to this drive, IMHO, is the strength to handle 1000+HP which the Bravo cannot. I also think the Bravo gearcase is faster than even the SCX-4 with a surface drive prop.

It was the potential to support high HP that convinced me to be the first RPM build with the SCX-4. It's great to go boating and not have to worry about blowing an outdrive.

Since you have a -3, your issues may be different. You could contact E Ticket in havasua, since they were the first to tame the -4 version. Other than that. call Junior at IMCO. He is pretty much running it as he dad ages.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi bultmand

Thanks for the info you posted about your RPM and SCX-4 surface set up. I spoke to another Gentelman that has a 26' RPM Steve built with the SCX-4, surfaced, and his boat is very fast like yours. He said he did some modifications to the lower unit to eliminate the tourque steer and he is very happy with the drive. Do you, or did you ever experience any torque steer and if so, what did you do to correct it? I have seen some really neat viedos of the RMP boats done by Steve, R.I.P, and they all seem to work very well with the SCX-4 surface application.
I heard Brad at E Ticket is the man, I also heard how he fixed the SCX lower by redesigning the leading edge for IMCO.

I am still in search of someone who has successfully surfaced the SCX-4 on a 27' Eliminator Speedster like mine. Talked to two guys who tried with 26' Eliminator Daytona's and they both said it was not worth it.

Happy New Year!

Last edited by EL Guapo; 01-01-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

think its the shape of the drive...had a friend with a 36 specre switch to these and also lost over 10 mph
Old 03-23-2016, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea crazy crazy speed kill!!! We spend so so much money to go fast! Just to spent a ton to lose like 10 MPH i will never do it!!! Been watching this drive and post with the same out come over and over it crazy!! Just so happy my Drive has been perfect for 5 years!! But i dont boat in big water....This day and age i just cant get over why this is so hard..... Good luck guys!!

Skydog
Old 03-24-2016, 08:16 AM
Registered

Skydog, you ended up keeping it and not selling.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:05 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Yea sure did man!! I made it threw the big D!! I just love it so much man!!!! How you been? Great to hear from you.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I plan on doing the SCX -3 upper with the -3 IMCO lower.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:03 AM
Registered

I'm good, took my DCB M26 to an engine builder out of Oklahoma City named Keith Scroggins. He built the engine back in 2000 when the boat was built new for the original owner and shipped it to DCB and they installed it. To my knowledge it has never been freshened up so it was time. Hoping to get it back in the next week or two, this is the time of year I like to boat. The engine is similar to yours only a roots 14-71 and around 900hp.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:03 AM
Registered

Sweet what drive is on it?
Old 03-28-2016, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
I plan on doing the SCX -3 upper with the -3 IMCO lower.
So far I have been happy with the SCX-3 with -3 SC lower. It was usually my XR upper that broke or had chipped/pitted gears. I have only had trouble with one SC lower. Keep us posted on your results and speed changes.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.