Water in pod, 36 Daytona

Notices

Water in pod, 36 Daytona

Old 07-25-2004, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water in pod, 36 Daytona

Hello,
I checked out a 36 Daytona today that im thinking about getting. Its a 2003 demo with 525's and a carbon kevlar hull. The boat was in great shape. One thing that bothered me however was water in the center pod in the cabin. The dealer said that it was becasue the bilge pumps are on the sides, not in the center, and when it is stored bow high or in the water, that water will run out and it was only their becasue it was stored with the bow too low.
Is this the case? will this cause a problem. How can i avoid this if i do buy the boat. i was thinking making the floor of the cabin flush and either filling the pod or putting a hatch over it. at least i wont have to step in the water.

thanks for the info. Maybe ill be joining you guys as an Eliminator owner soon.

also any positive or negative feedback on Daytonas or Eliminator in general?

thanks
-Rick
Old 07-26-2004, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Water in pod, 36 Daytona

I couldn't be happier with my 28 Daytona Twin. The guy I bought mine from bought a 36 Daytona and loves it. My 28 does the same thing you are referring to. Mine has a plug at the back of the "ski locker" that is super tough to reach and lets a little water past it. It eventually makes its way to the "foot well" in the front compartment. Oh yeah, if the boat is left uncovered and it rains hard my ski locker will actually fill up. Best way I've found to deal with that is to use a wet vac to suck it out.

My boat has (4 ) batteries and (2) of them sit on the "center" diamond plate covering in the engine compartment. This winter I plan to move those (2) batts up next to the engines then put a small hinged door in the diamond plate floor at the front of the engine compartment. That way I'll be able to get to the plug easily to seal it good and pull it when it rains.

I wouldn't worry about this issue too much. Good luck with the purchase!
Old 07-26-2004, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 28 with twins and I have a plug in the engine compartment to keep water from going forward. I did remove the carpet from the floor locker and replaced it with gel-coat and rubber mats. The only time mine got wet up front was after a cooler leaked into the locker without me knowing it.

I have a friend who is going to try an automatic one way drain plug from West Marine.

You will love the 36.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if the pod is like my 25, the water gets stuck infront of the step. shop vac is the best method. you would be surprised at hhow much water you get when u vacum it out.