Notices

boat painting 101

Old 05-03-2005, 11:18 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: boat painting 101

Originally Posted by yahoo
I have a 30 motion, the hatch in the front would be awesome for storing stuff, the back seat is a ***** to lift.

How much for just the paint ?

CM

paint could vary on a boat like ours from 6k to whatever you could imagine... i am painting the entire boat (above the water line), most do not do that, they leave some white gel showing... so mine probably is the exception more than the rule... i can't put a dollar amount on mine as i am doing so many things at once...

new interior (carbon fiber vinyl look), gauges, steering wheel, stereo, gps, carpet, cockpit and full cover, rubrail, pin cleats, throttle/shifters, "pop-up" indicators, custom painted flame arrestors and valve covers, all new handles, vents, hinges and misc hardware... not to mention the fiberglass work, the hatch, the windscreen mount and the custom fluoro-tinted windscreen (like nor-techs) and the paint and then the vinyl i will still put on when it is done being painted..... it all kinda runs together anymore....
Old 05-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sean H
paint could vary on a boat like ours from 6k to whatever you could imagine... i am painting the entire boat (above the water line), most do not do that, they leave some white gel showing... so mine probably is the exception more than the rule... i can't put a dollar amount on mine as i am doing so many things at once...

new interior (carbon fiber vinyl look), gauges, steering wheel, stereo, gps, carpet, cockpit and full cover, rubrail, pin cleats, throttle/shifters, "pop-up" indicators, custom painted flame arrestors and valve covers, all new handles, vents, hinges and misc hardware... not to mention the fiberglass work, the hatch, the windscreen mount and the custom fluoro-tinted windscreen (like nor-techs) and the paint and then the vinyl i will still put on when it is done being painted..... it all kinda runs together anymore....

blah,............blah.............blah............ get back to work and leave dave alone he has a big road trip coming up
Old 05-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 295 Likes on 102 Posts

xxxtreme171 and yahoo feel free to contact me through the private message and i will address the question of cost for you particular projects. as said many things factor into it.

Tbone i am heading for the Kentuckey Dreby this weekend . . .should i just keep head'n south west after that . . . course i dont think Sean would see the humor in that

by the way Sean looking at my schedule would next thursday be good for a walk through? i will call you over the weekend if i have a sober moment
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 05-03-2005 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:06 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by glassdave
....private massage .....

I didn't know that was one of your services!!
Old 05-03-2005, 04:02 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 295 Likes on 102 Posts

oops . . .crap! . . . well . . i can paint better than i can spell. . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 05-03-2005, 04:38 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

oops . . .crap! . . . well . . i can paint better than i can spell. . .

that is reassuring....
Old 05-04-2005, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Re: boat painting 101

also started working on some mock ups for the wind screen. i want this to look factory so i decided to do it in some closed cell foam to refine it first. the final product will be bondo and chickin wire (for strength) . . . actually the final will be a bonded composite piece. this should give us a wind screen of about 6 or 8 inches high and it falls just behind the front seats without obstructing entry. i am trying to find somthing i can mock up the actuall lexan with so i can set that to.
glassdave, could you give a little more detail about making this windscreen. i've removed the windshield on my boat and want make a fairing to go back in it's place. does the closed cell foam allow you to bend it ? and it looks as if it's attached already, is it ? and what do you mean when you said a bonded composite piece ? thanks for this thread and any further imput!!!
Old 05-04-2005, 09:26 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

the closed cell foam he is referring to is just dow board for mock up purposes and it is hot glued in place... he will duplicate the final design in the bonded composite stuff, i think he told me 400 bucks a sheet....
this part of the project is the most exciting for me, the rest of the stuff is cosmetic, this will change the function and comfort of the boat dramatically....
Old 05-04-2005, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

i feel very sorry for glassdave............i sure hope his horse comes in this weekend.................
Old 05-04-2005, 09:41 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

i feel sorry for him if he has to work on your fountain....

Quick Reply: boat painting 101

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.