boat painting 101

Notices

boat painting 101

Old 04-25-2005, 04:04 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 997 Likes on 506 Posts
Default Re: boat painting 101

I have a question.....what if you were only painting lets say a thin stripe down the side......do you DA outside the stipe edges? Like sanding in the general area of the stripe then masking the area off for painting?

Or do you mask off the stripe and only DA the section you will be painting? And if so how you you keep from damaging the masking tape? This has puzzled me for a while

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 04-25-2005, 04:55 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 295 Likes on 102 Posts

Zanie- 407 is a much easier sanding filler but it is low density. it dosent have the strength that the high density 404 stuff does. 404 actually dosent sand to bad though, its always been a pretty bomber repair for the small stuff.

Sean H- if i can get these guys to pay a tuition i will deduct it from the final bill.

wally- yes i sand out side the general stripe area. if i am laying a stripe on an existing finish i usually sand (DA) the area lightly prior to taping with 800 for gel or 1000 for painted surfaces. i than tape off the stripe and scuff the inside areas of the stripes with 400 wet being careful not to sand directly on the tape. just befor paint i apply an adhesion promotor like Bulldog and than apply the stripe color and clear. i usually pull the tape wet although this is a personal preferance and can be done dry as well. after its dry sand the stripes with 1200 on a DA and extend off on to the area that you previously sanded in 800/1000 than buff the whole thing out with 3M's Perfectit micro finishing compound. doing it this way locks down the edge pretty well.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 04-25-2005, 06:52 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glassdave
Sean H- if i can get these guys to pay a tuition i will deduct it from the final bill.

everybody cough up 20 bucks.......
Old 04-25-2005, 07:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boy, I wished you had started this thread last year!
Old 04-25-2005, 10:39 PM
Registered

"apply an adhesion promoter like BULLDOG!!!????" Must be good stuff

For stripes, use 3M striping tape which is made for fine lines/edges. This is sold at autobody paint suppliers and is not the 25 cents per roll cheapo stuff. I tape the edge of a stripe last so I can then remove it without having to remove the bulk taping and masking paper. Especially handy if you are doing multiple stripes, etc.

Don't remove the tape while paint is wet, it will leave a messy edge. Don't let it fully cure, either. Let the paint set up an hour or so then remove the stripe tape.

Do not pull the tape straight out, directly away from the surface - this pulls on the paint and will sometimes pull some of the paint off.

Starting at the left end of a stripe, for example, pull the tape end almost straight to the right so that the tape is folded back over itself- this helps the tape shear the paint right along the edge.

Bulldog aka Ronnie
Old 04-25-2005, 11:22 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 295 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Bulldog
I tape the edge of a stripe last so I can then remove it without having to remove the bulk taping and masking paper.

Don't remove the tape while paint is wet, it will leave a messy edge. Don't let it fully cure, either. Let the paint set up an hour or so then remove the stripe tape.
i do somthing similar and much easier than trying to guess where my final stripe is going to be. i will lay out my stripes than lay my bulk tape and paper just about a half inch away from my stripe tape than fill that gap with piece of 3/4" so when i pull my stripe tape all hafta do is pull the 3"4 and than my border tape. and yes by wet i mean within a half hour to an hour. not sure if you could do it WET wet

Bulldog is that your L.S. Scarab in your avitar? great boat man!
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 04-25-2005 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe we could do a thread of Sean H painting his toenails too
Old 04-26-2005, 06:56 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCPERF
Maybe we could do a thread of Sean H painting his toenails too

i think only your NY buddies wear makeup.....
Old 04-26-2005, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean H
i think only your NY buddies wear makeup.....
Old 04-26-2005, 10:46 AM
Registered

Sorry Guys but I have to ask,when you talk about sanding what are you talking about when you say "DA"

Quick Reply: boat painting 101

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.