Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: boat painting 101

I thought they discontinued K-36.......
Old 04-27-2005, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question for glassdave or grafikworx. Not to change the subject, I think this is going to be a very informative thread but what is a ballpark price for painting a 33 foot v hull a solid white 2 stage. The reason i ask is a few years ago i helped a friend paint his 33' fountain. I only have experience painting cars and didnt think it would be a big deal to do a boat. Boy was i wrong! I am not sure of the hours we put in but it was alot. I am just curious what a job like that would cost. I admire both of you guys for the Jobs you turn out. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by xxxtreme171; 04-27-2005 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Dave thanx for the compliments. we really appreciate that. as you know its allot of work to do what we do, so you have to work hard at it. its nice to know that most people in the performance boat circle appreciate the efforts.

Im also glad to know you use PPG as we do for most jobs. we also use K-36 primer. works pretty well in most situations. we really dont do much glass work ,most of the boats are brand new from the factory. but we always have small chips to fix before paint begins. we also use PPG 2021 clear over all our grafix, it sprays nice drys fast and wet-sand and buffs very well.
Here are some boats in our shop right now. good luck on your project, Harold at grafikworx
Attached Thumbnails boat painting 101-127_2755.jpg  

Last edited by grafikworx; 04-27-2005 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sean H
that means he steals your ideas....
sean H you are too funny. I guess there is fine line between inspired and just outright copying. but hey you have that in all types of business these days.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:30 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 295 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean H
that means he steals your ideas....

hey . . careful there . .. i just cut a hole in the top of your boat . . . may hafta cut one in the bottom for that

Harold- i have a question for you. how do you spray the decks on the big cats. i have a bunch of scaffolding and use to span the deck with a 16 foot aluminum pik ( its like a long aluminum deck thing) that worked OK but was kind of a hassle sometimes. these days i have a pressure feed gun with the head mounted at the end of a 6 foot long extension. works pretty good to blow a coat down the center where you cant reach. just curious what the big name guys are doing . . . or is it a double top secret technique

would like to stop by an check out your shop sometime i am down there
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 04-27-2005, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Dave , I really like this thread i am sure it will have a lot of great info for many of us who are less infomed. I have one question what do you use on the hull for repairs, I took some gell off putting it on the trailer. I`ll try to get a pic of the area.Do I just use gellcote to fill it in?

Thanks for any responce

Sean and JC you do make threads a little more interesting
Old 04-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
hey . . careful there . .. i just cut a hole in the top of your boat . . . may hafta cut one in the bottom for that

Harold- i have a question for you. how do you spray the decks on the big cats. i have a bunch of scaffolding and use to span the deck with a 16 foot aluminum pik ( its like a long aluminum deck thing) that worked OK but was kind of a hassle sometimes. these days i have a pressure feed gun with the head mounted at the end of a 6 foot long extension. works pretty good to blow a coat down the center where you cant reach. just curious what the big name guys are doing . . . or is it a double top secret technique

would like to stop by an check out your shop sometime i am down there
hey Dave its no secret, its apain in the a$$ . we dont use any scaffolding or anything for fear that dirt will fall into the paint. on most cats we clear in two sections. using a deck line or radious to separate the two sections. if you soft edge on the body line and overlap both times it will be perfect after you wet sand and buff . if thats is not possible then you can use the grafix to your advantage by back taping ,and clearing separate. third option is the good old bullet technique, and a long reach. which im sure your familiar with.
Harold
Attached Thumbnails boat painting 101-128_2874.jpg  
Old 04-27-2005, 09:36 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

. . pain in the A$$! is right, yes im familiar with the bullet technique. used it many times. good thing about doing this kinda stuff is your gonna sand and buff anyway so having the clear flow out really isnt that big an issue. millage is what ya want, bury those tape lines

masi242- give me a call if you like and i will talk you through it. . any time 419-461-1484
Old 04-27-2005, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by masi242
Dave , I really like this thread i am sure it will have a lot of great info for many of us who are less infomed. I have one question what do you use on the hull for repairs, I took some gell off putting it on the trailer. I`ll try to get a pic of the area.Do I just use gellcote to fill it in?

Thanks for any responce

Sean and JC you do make threads a little more interesting

Sean and JC are pickle smocher's
Old 04-27-2005, 10:16 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
Sean and JC are pickle smocher's

dont forget about Mashes44 . . he's just as bad . . .bunch of damn pole smokers

Quick Reply: boat painting 101

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.