boat painting 101 >

boat painting 101

Notices

boat painting 101

Old 09-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: boat painting 101

Dave, smart choice on the countersink bit AND hand drill! If they had used that bit before they screwed it, you wouldn't be fixin' chips or stress cracks.
Question, do you use epoxy on all boats or just epoxy ones? I have been using DynaGlass short hair to fill and poly glaze to finish [piranha putty] and hope I haven't been screwin' up. Thanks, G$
Old 09-02-2005, 10:19 PM
Registered

OOOPS, My bust! I re-posted when I didn't see the initial post; didn't realize it was under this thread of epic proportions! It looks like there were many graduates from the SHK!(School of Hard Knocks) You guys have shared stuff that could only be acquired from years of experience. Thanks, I am learning alot from you guys! G$
Old 09-03-2005, 03:24 AM
Registered

I just had to elaborate on the significant improvement that getting out of the water and dry sanding clear-coat has made for us as Dave recommended. ( post #67 on page 4)
We use DFX11 in our clear and sand the next day (no more than 3 days w/DX61) using#1200 3M Hookit finishing discs [#952] on a Dynabrade orbital air sander (DA) w/ 3M Hookit pad[#5775] and interface pad as Dave strongly suggests [#5773]. Use 60-75psi ( minimize heat) and a clean rag to wipe the sanding residue from both the disc and the sanded surface to monitor the progress, prevent "pigtails", and extend the life of the disc.
Dave [p#87/5] and tssteph [p#89/5] both recommend foam pads (3M#5723) over wool ones. I love em' too; no lint and easy to clean. We use them w/ Perfect-It III X-tra cut compound (#5936). On black or dark colors, the black foam pad (#5725) and Finesse or machine glaze will produce a flawless finish. We do 10+ boats a week and if we were not using this process, we would never go home! At first I thought the re had been smokin' something when I first heard about dry sanding clear-that sounded crazy! Wet sanding has it's limited applications, but not on this clear! G$
Old 09-06-2005, 06:45 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 295 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Gmoney52
I just had to elaborate on the significant improvement that getting out of the water and dry sanding clear-coat has made for us as Dave recommended. ( post #67 on page 4)
We use DFX11 in our clear and sand the next day (no more than 3 days w/DX61) using#1200 3M Hookit finishing discs [#952] on a Dynabrade orbital air sander (DA) w/ 3M Hookit pad[#5775] and interface pad as Dave strongly suggests [#5773]. Use 60-75psi ( minimize heat) and a clean rag to wipe the sanding residue from both the disc and the sanded surface to monitor the progress, prevent "pigtails", and extend the life of the disc.
Dave [p#87/5] and tssteph [p#89/5] both recommend foam pads (3M#5723) over wool ones. I love em' too; no lint and easy to clean. We use them w/ Perfect-It III X-tra cut compound (#5936). On black or dark colors, the black foam pad (#5725) and Finesse or machine glaze will produce a flawless finish. We do 10+ boats a week and if we were not using this process, we would never go home! At first I thought the re had been smokin' something when I first heard about dry sanding clear-that sounded crazy! Wet sanding has it's limited applications, but not on this clear! G$

G . . .you just described my excact process, very simple and straight forward use of some great products. dont know if you have had a chance to use the Trizak 3000 yet but it takes it one step further and makes the buffing even easier. this step is done wet and cuts buffing time by about 50%. funny i hated this stuff when i first tryed it. i didnt follow directions and did it without the intermideate pad, it was a mess and will not work. had that box of disks on my shelf for along time before i stumbled on the proper method while talking to my rep one day (i gotta learn to read things ). you aint kid'n about getting your sanding done in the first few day either . . . nuthing like trying to polish a rock
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Registered

Dave, used them once and loved them! Our supplier wouldn't get them because nobody else was asking for them. Trizak disc last a long time ( keeping wet is paramount) and are the best I have seen on old Imron and other "rocks". G$

I think I have gas....
Old 09-07-2005, 07:38 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Gmoney52
I think I have gas....

its OK . . . i dont think even you can kill this thread
Old 09-07-2005, 11:31 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this thing still going?

got my boxes today, haven't had time to open them yet....
Old 09-08-2005, 06:59 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

stuff looks kinda like this . dont forget those Dane hinges are in there to (those wrong ones we got from fred). hows your MTI search going
Attached Thumbnails boat painting 101-lite-033.jpg  
Old 09-08-2005, 04:04 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glassdave
stuff looks kinda like this . dont forget those Dane hinges are in there to (those wrong ones we got from fred). hows your MTI search going
i found it (well, build it)... just have to pay for it now.

should be cool..... going all carbon layup...
Old 12-30-2005, 08:01 PM
No Comment
VIP Member

Location: This post copyright, Packinair Inc. All rights reserved.

just bringing this around for 1 more lap cause someone is looking for it

Quick Reply: boat painting 101

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.