boat painting 101 >

boat painting 101

Notices

boat painting 101

Old 02-25-2008, 12:00 PM
RL
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't be looking forward to the sanding and polishing part of the job. Brings back lots of old memories.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:48 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 295 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by RL
I wouldn't be looking forward to the sanding and polishing part of the job. Brings back lots of old memories.
Its not to bad these days. i have done an entire 38 TopGun in a single day by myself. All color sanding is done dry with a DA and the results are fantastic. I can even imagine wet sanding a whole boat although i believe some of the big graphics guys still use a water bug.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 02-26-2008, 11:51 AM
RL
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
Its not to bad these days. i have done an entire 38 TopGun in a single day by myself. All color sanding is done dry with a DA and the results are fantastic. I can even imagine wet sanding a whole boat although i believe some of the big graphics guys still use a water bug.
I've been away from the repair business since the end of '94, and I did very little boat work. Any "out of the mold" gelcoat spray work, regardless of delivery system, always ended up with "orange peel" even after the application of PVA as a top coat for curing. Have there been any industry changes or additives to help improve flow-out and reduce sanding?
Old 02-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by RL
I've been away from the repair business since the end of '94, and I did very little boat work. Any "out of the mold" gelcoat spray work, regardless of delivery system, always ended up with "orange peel" even after the application of PVA as a top coat for curing. Have there been any industry changes or additives to help improve flow-out and reduce sanding?

Are you refering to gel or paint? sounds like gel if thats the case i do all that sanding dry to break it than wet above 600. if i am spraying gel outside a mold i use Duratechs gloss additive, works great and you can spray with conventional spray equipment. In the mold the PVA/Partall system can give a mottled finish but i still use it occasionally. there are some great mold releases that probably leave a better finish but i havent used them as i am still a bit old school when it comes to that.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:54 PM
RL
Registered

Are you refering to gel or paint? sounds like gel if thats the case i do all that sanding dry to break it than wet above 600. if i am spraying gel outside a mold i use Duratechs gloss additive, works great and you can spray with conventional spray equipment. In the mold the PVA/Partall system can give a mottled finish but i still use it occasionally. there are some great mold releases that probably leave a better finish but i havent used them as i am still a bit old school when it comes to that.
Yeah, I was referring to gelcoat. In the mold, we always used the PVA for release on a well waxed surface, and normally had excellent results, but outside the mold I used the PVA on top to help promote the cure. I'm not familiar with the Duratech additive. Is it a newer product, or was I just missing something? Wouldn't have been the first time.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

yep, its an additive to help gel flow out. You also do not need to PVA it after spraying. fantastic results and makes sanding gel a breeze. Not sure how long its been around though.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Registered

Hey glass Dave Great thread I have a question I have a 41 foot stinger that has painted graphics on the side. The problem is the white gelcoat on the sides, transom and the top deck is faded and a little chalky. There is not any clear on it now . What would be the easiest way to put the gloss back in the gell sand and buff ? or clear ? thanks
Old 02-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Actually you might want to get ahold of Donnie at MarineClean here on the board. I know he has some great stuff and his oxidation removers and Leverage work well. I would hold off on the sanding till you hit it with a wheel real good. Use a wool pad, no foam on gel. That is truly your best best bet, if that dont work its paint time.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:30 AM
RL
Registered

yep, its an additive to help gel flow out. You also do not need to PVA it after spraying. fantastic results and makes sanding gel a breeze. Not sure how long its been around though.
Cool
Thanks for the input. Like I said, I've been away from that line of work for a long time, but I'm always interested in learning how products and techniques have changed. Never know when I might want to do something to my own boat.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:59 PM
MF
Registered

Hey Glassdave, we are all waiting for the cig 20 Thread !!!!

Quick Reply: boat painting 101

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.