Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
How to Cover/Pad dash with vinyl? >

How to Cover/Pad dash with vinyl?

Notices

How to Cover/Pad dash with vinyl?

Old 05-20-2005, 05:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Cover/Pad dash with vinyl?

The dash in my Formula SR357 is black and it's gotten pretty oxidixed in places. I've tried a few fixes but the fade always comes back and I'm not interested in buyiong anymore magic chemicals or buffers.

I'm thinkikng about going with a padded vinyl dash like they sued to do in cars--damn--I can remeber when that was an option ( and when cigarettes were $0.25 a pack too).

Has anyone tried this "upgrade" and if so what kinds of foam and vinyl and adhesive did you use?
Old 05-20-2005, 07:45 AM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile Re: How to Cover/Pad dash with vinyl?

Track down your local wholesale automotive upholstery/trim shop supplier. They sell what they call "Landau Foam", which is available in thin white(approximately 1/4" thick) & a black, slightly softer(approximately 1/2" thick) foam sheet material. It's all sold by the yard. Spray both your dash surface & one side of the foam with a clear(not red) spray contact adhesive & trim the perimeter edges back approximately 1/2". Then spray the top of this foam & the back of your choosen vinyl & apply it the same way. You only get one chance at both of these steps, as you will not be able to remove or move the foam or vinyl once you have allowed it to touch the glued surface. Most people do not know how to use contact adhesive. After you spray the adhesive on both surfaces...walk away from it for about 20 minutes while it outgases(dries). THEN stick it down. Never use contact while it is still wet. Then trim the area with small aluminum J-moulding or small trim that can also be purchased at the same automotive trim wholesaler. This should give you some food for thought. Good Luck with your project. Ed