Fixing Bottom / Blueprinting

Old 06-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 294 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Re: Fixing Bottom / Blueprinting

did you leave an anchor out?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-28-2005, 05:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not 100% sure of the drive ratio, But I believe it is 1.26 from Max Machine Worx. They rebuilt it last summer.

On the X-dim question. Last summer when I had it rebuilt I went with a shortened lower. I tried going 2" and when we got it in the water it would not "nose over" and get on plane. Had to order a 1" spacer. Put them on, problem solved. Boat gets up on plane nice. It did not add any speed. The folks at Max Machine convinced me that my x-dim was too low and thats why we tried the 2". It made no difference.

On the engine question. It has 35 hours on it since rebuild but I was there when it was on the dyno. 965 was real and it made that power around 5800-6000 as I recall. Somewhere I have the printouts, I'll look for them today in my files at work.

As I said before I have tried 28,30,32,34 props. The 28 makes it extremely responsive and can take the motor to 6500rpm. NO more speed though. The 30 is slightly less responsive decreases rpm and same speed. Same can be said for the 32 that is on there now.

Thanks for your help. I am convinced this thing can make speed. My thoughts are to check the bottom and fix as needed and then look at adding an extension box. Possibly getting the prop in "cleaner" water can help?

Last edited by exaeh007; 06-28-2005 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:43 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ext box may help, but is still sounds like something isn't matched up right, check the bottom, but i can't see it scrubbing this much speed... the ext box will raise and move back your drive, both good things for your setup i think.... good luck
Old 06-29-2005, 04:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Like I said before, I will be at the lake this weekend and will try to better evaluate my bottom. Although I must say after looking at the painting 101 forum it in nice to evaluate that bottom. Can you or Dave PM me the name of his shop wtih a phone number? I know the boat will not be coming to Ohio until Sept or Oct but I would like it now to be ready. Thanks
Old 07-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well I got back late last night from my 4th at the lake. While there I took the opportunity to put a straight-edge to the last step on my hull. I figured at speed only the last step is in the water anyway. Well it has lots of hook. Pretty much both sides have plenty of hook. Also my steps are not 90 degree steps, they are more like 120 degree steps and about 1.25" deep. As I compared it to my friends 30' Eliminator my bottom was WAY different. His steps were about 1/2" each and looked like they were about 90 degrees. Also his bottom was smooth (the entire step is one smooth surface) vs mine which is not . I am not sure what you call all the different surfaces mine has but I think they're called strakes?

Regardless I am not straight and I think this is part of my speed problem. I also discovered that I lied about the time on my engine. I said 35 hours and it is nearing 75. Just seems like I couldn't have had that much fun but the hour meter has never lied to me before. Glassdave, how can I contact you about the fix? Can we (you) change my hull to a more "tried and true" surface? What does the bottom of the Spectre's look like?

I am thinking of bringing it back to Ohio around the end of July now. Please let me know how I can hook-up with you when I get it here and the engine pulled.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Art, I want to get it fixed. I was thinkin glassdave would be a great place to start, especially given he is only an hour from me in Toledo. If you know of anyone else I am open. Just needs to get fixed. I have a few other fixes to go with the bottom fix too. I want to go with an extension box so my current steering cylinders (dual) needs to have the holes filled and painted. I also have too many water outlets for my intercooler and want them all filled and painted. I'm sure there is more once we start.

My intent is to get the boat back to Ohio, pull the drive and engine. Them bring the hull to a shop for repairs and blueprinting. PM me names and phone numbers of places that can do the work if you know any.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:47 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand the concept of fixing the bottom but how do they actually do it? Do they add fiberglass to the hooks and sand out the rockers? What kind of material is used in the process?
Old 07-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 294 Likes on 101 Posts

exaeh007- give me a call on my cell phone and i will see if i can help. 419-461-1484

BADKACHINA- its done with a combination of filling and sanding to true the surface. the actual shape of the hook or rocker determines what you need to do to fair it out. the filler is a dry additive that you mix with an epoxy to a desired consistancy.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 07-07-2005, 05:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for the number, I'll call you later today.