Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
DAMN!!! I need some clear coat help now!!! >

DAMN!!! I need some clear coat help now!!!

Notices

DAMN!!! I need some clear coat help now!!!

Old 11-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,131 Likes on 568 Posts
Default Re: DAMN!!! I need some clear coat help now!!!

actually i havent had any time to realy do any work on it so thats why no recent pics......but i'll take some when i get this dash finnished and put back on the boat before i take it to storage in the next week or so

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 11-08-2005, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like to me you waited too long in between coats.

OR the panel being cleared was not up to temp, not just the air you are in
Old 11-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Originally Posted by 43Thunder
Sounds like to me you waited too long in between coats.

OR the panel being cleared was not up to temp, not just the air you are in
It was the first coat and it was 72 outside that day.........just got a hit of bad luck as a quick prinkle passed by and droped i'd say about 40-50 small droplets all over the clearcoat which was about 45min on the dash time wise.......the rain was heavy enough to make small dimples in the clearcoat......ive wetsanded it all.....just waiting for a warmer day again hopefully...or i'll need to hang some drop cloths in the garage and spray inside.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 11-08-2005, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is at all possible to get it inside some place to spray it, it would be so much better for so many reasons that I would not know where to start the list! Do yourself a favor and don't try to spray it outside again, if that is what you are trying to do and I am not reading this wrong!! If not (NEVER MIND)
Old 11-09-2005, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wally,

Glad all turned out ok for you. Any pictures of the project ??
Old 11-09-2005, 08:55 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Originally Posted by customtouch
If it is at all possible to get it inside some place to spray it, it would be so much better for so many reasons that I would not know where to start the list! Do yourself a favor and don't try to spray it outside again, if that is what you are trying to do and I am not reading this wrong!! If not (NEVER MIND)

i know, i know...unfortunatly i dont have anyplace right now to spray indoors......so i do what i can here at home.....luckly the trees have all ost their leaves and it was clam outside when i did it...if it wasnt for that sprinkle i would be done right now. My garage is stuffed with house stuff and a golf cart ive been rebuilding for my dad...so spraying in there is out for now.....but if i dont spray it this week, i'll wait till i get the boat to storage and spray the dash in the loading dock of my buddy;s factory

Old 11-09-2005, 08:59 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Originally Posted by 43Thunder
Wally,

Glad all turned out ok for you. Any pictures of the project ??
well i dont have any current pics as i havent done much work on it cause of the house projects...but heres what the dash project i'm working on is: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=93901

Old 11-09-2005, 02:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
i know, i know...unfortunatly i dont have anyplace right now to spray indoors......so i do what i can here at home.....luckly the trees have all ost their leaves and it was clam outside when i did it...if it wasnt for that sprinkle i would be done right now. My garage is stuffed with house stuff and a golf cart ive been rebuilding for my dad...so spraying in there is out for now.....but if i dont spray it this week, i'll wait till i get the boat to storage and spray the dash in the loading dock of my buddy;s factory
You might consider building a small temporary cover for it. It is relativly simple thing to do. Just build a small frame work out of 2x4's, PVC pipe, or any thing like that , and cover it with plastic. You only need three walls and a roof, you can leave the backside of it open. It doesn't even have to cover the whole boat, just the front half. That would help keep you spraying enviroment under control and after you were through painting you could even put a small heater in there to help it cure! You would obviously have to exercise EXTREME CARE and COMMON SENSE in doing this!!!!! When you are done working on your boat just tear it down and throw it away. I have seen many people have pretty good results doing it this way! Painting outside with no cover at all is a very hard game to win at. Good Luck!!!
Old 11-09-2005, 07:23 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Thanks....luckly for me the dash is off the boat and moveable. If the weather dont warm up into the mid 60's anytime soon i'll just take it to the loading dock and spray it there!

Old 11-13-2005, 03:26 PM
Registered

Wally, Call 509 you can do it in his shop at the house, he has all the equipment you need. Brian

Quick Reply: DAMN!!! I need some clear coat help now!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.