Notices

non skid

Old 11-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default non skid

I have painted my 29 scarab but the deck and swim p/f have the non skid surfaces.Can these be painted as well my painter does not want to ?What procedure do they need if u can?
Old 11-11-2005, 09:10 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 294 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Re: non skid

what are you trying to do? did you already paint the boat completely except the non-skid stuff? you can paint over the non skid no problem, if you want to retain the textured surface just scrub it with some lacquer thinner and a scotch-bright pad or stiff bristle brush than use an adhesion promoter like BullDog or an epoxy sealer like PPG's DP48.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-12-2005, 08:33 AM
Registered

yes we already painted the boat but i am taking it back to be finished.My painter does not want to paint the non skid he sys it would be to difficult and will peel.I said i would ask the guys on this site and we are anxiously awaiting the replies.when we painted the boat we thought it would not look that bad not done but ....it looks unfinished so its back in the shop as we speak.
Attached Thumbnails non skid-picture-629.jpg  
Old 11-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 294 Likes on 101 Posts

i have painted plenty of non-skid decks and have never had one peel. prep is very important as the surface must be very clean and free from any wax that might be in the texture. i usually scrub it with a stiff brush and some lacquer thinner but since you have already painted the boat i would use PPG's DX440 wax and grease remover, that will keep your fresh paint safe. use an epoxy sealer like DDP's DP48 before paint and you shouldnt have any problems. good luck
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-13-2005, 12:34 PM
Registered

I always avoid painting the non-skid surfaces if at all possible because it is impossible to get a correct mechanical bond surface (sanded properly) and you are relying on a chemical bond only! In theory, it would be the same as just washing your car and painting it using only an adheasion promoter to make the paint stick!(Not a good idea, right?) Only in this case, due to the sometimes very rough texture, it is hard to insure a perfectly clean surface which is extremely critical! This is why your painter is apprehensive of painting it, and rightfully so! To do this, you are going from the realm of what is right, to what can you get away with! It is something that I won't warranty, so I avoid it! That being said, if you decide that it is absolutely necessary to paint it, I would use the same methods discribed by glassdave! It will be the best system for making it work! One other thing to note is that the paint will have a tendency to rub off more easily on the peaks of the texture if it is walked on with any type of shoes. This shows up more if you use a different color than the existing non-skid. Don't hold it against your painter for not painting it initially, or if you have problems with it after he does! This is one of those things that is in the (grey area) of right! BTW the boat looks good,looks like he did a nice job! Good Luck!

Last edited by customtouch; 11-13-2005 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:36 AM
Registered

Cool Re: non skid

hmmmm...now what to do...??
Old 11-14-2005, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 34 Posts

I did mine over a year and a half ago and it looks as good as the day I painted it. Just make sure that it is clean. Use a good wax and grease remover. Go over it many times. Then paint. Hope this helps.

Don
Old 11-14-2005, 01:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dgduck13
I did mine over a year and a half ago and it looks as good as the day I painted it. Just make sure that it is clean. Use a good wax and grease remover. Go over it many times. Then paint. Hope this helps.

Don
Do u have any pics of yours to share...did u also have a swim platform to do?
Old 11-14-2005, 01:51 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the texture? We sanded all the texture off my fathers boat and just redid it.

Jon
Old 11-14-2005, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 34 Posts

Here are a few pictures of the boat in the process of being painted. These are kind of far awat but I think you get the idea. If you want a few closer ones let me know and I will take a few.

Don
Attached Thumbnails non skid-p4240028.jpg   non skid-p4240029.jpg   non skid-p4240030.jpg  

Quick Reply: non skid

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.