31 ft single step bottom job >

31 ft single step bottom job

Notices

31 ft single step bottom job

Old 12-29-2005, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 31 ft single step bottom job

I kinda called that one. $65 an hour is a bargain. Just for the record we always seem to spend more time than we actually bill. And I have also taken it on the chin a few times with a never ending job that we QUOTED low. But that's the breaks. Sometimes your the pigeon and sometimes the statue. Sound like a reasonable guy working with a reasonable customer.

Good luck
Old 12-29-2005, 06:44 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 122 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks for the feedback....still not sure if I've got the greenbacks to go back just yet.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:40 PM
Registered

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=118764

about sums it up
Old 12-29-2005, 09:04 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 122 Likes on 63 Posts

I know, I know. Notice I asked what was a fair price for the job, not at what price can I screw this guy for.

I remember a sign I saw somewhere that said:
We do 3 types of jobs....good, quick, and cheap. You can have any 2, but it certainly won't be the third.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:42 PM
Registered

T500hps, I almost get the impression that you feel you should have paid more for the work done. Or were you worried that they weren't going to do the work to the level they should for the price. In any event, it sounds like a fair deal for good work. I wouldnt worry if I was you.

Catagory 5, I take it you do hull and glass repair. Got a question. My hull is relatively knick free. There are a couple scratches above waterline from trying to put it on trailer in high wind and wake conditions, but the bottom is smooth. When repairing this section of the hull, do you do a normal glass repair. The whole cleaning, sanding, filling, sanding thing then paint over it and spray new gel? Then buff the gel out smooth to match the rest of the hull? Or does it require a special step? Just curious whats the difference cause its on the running surface fo the hull.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:05 PM
Registered

Gelcoat repair is pretty much done the same no matter where it is on the hull. You mention paint, i'm not sure i follow. No paint used when doing gelcoat repair.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:50 PM
Registered

The question of paint is if you have to actually repair the fiberglass on the bottom. Say you got a nice scratch that goew through to the glass or had to patch a small hole or something. I was just wondering, when the repair is done on the running surface of the boat, do you repaint the area white once the fiberglass is repaired, then gelcoat it? Or do you just smooth out the repair then gelcoat it. I would think that you would repair, paint, then gel. Buffing out or wetsanding afterwards to get smooth mirrored finish. Just wondering. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:23 PM
Registered

NO you don't use paint when doing gelcoat repair. NOOO paint. Doesn't matter if it's the running surface or not.

I'm not sure if I am answering your question or not or if your confused as to the process. The white color you see IS gelcoat not paint with gelcoat over it. Maybe that's where the confusion is?
Old 12-31-2005, 02:36 PM
Registered

Ah.... Ok.... Thats helps. Yes. As I am not experienced with the build process or gelcoats, I am the one who's confused. You've helped to clear things up alot. I always thought gel was clear. Did not realize it came in colors. I never realized the white hull was the gel itself and not painted white. Or that colors in the gel were the gel and not painted colors that were gelled over. Thanks for the info and sorry about my ignorance.

So to repair these sections, you need to match the color of gel to the existing color where your repairing. I can see the difficulty there. Explains why alot of people simply do the sanding and repaint with a Clearcoat Basecoat process.

Outside of schooling, do you know of any websites or books that I can read to learn more about the whole process?
Old 12-31-2005, 03:01 PM
Registered

You got it now!!!!!!!!

Try this. I'm sure there are others as well on OSO. Try a search.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ght=super+babi

Last edited by Catagory5; 12-31-2005 at 03:05 PM.

Quick Reply: 31 ft single step bottom job

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.