removing swirl marks ? >

removing swirl marks ?

Notices

removing swirl marks ?

Old 01-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: removing swirl marks ?

I've always had good luck with 3M Finesse-It. You can even try 3M's new Imperial which breaks down as you buff it so it gets fine to take out the swirls.

Only other thought would be to try an orbital if you already haven't. I have a big Craftsman one that I use for the last steps. It's orbiting action is less likely to leave swirls than just a normal rotary buffer.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:00 PM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by cobaltblue
I've always had good luck with 3M Finesse-It. You can even try 3M's new Imperial which breaks down as you buff it so it gets fine to take out the swirls.

Only other thought would be to try an orbital if you already haven't. I have a big Craftsman one that I use for the last steps. It's orbiting action is less likely to leave swirls than just a normal rotary buffer.
Havn't tried the finesse but i'm using a portor cable orbital buffer.I think it's operater error.Thanks
Old 01-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Registered

Not to 'dis anyone's system, but I use 3M Perfect-It III X-tra Cut (#05936) on #1200 DA dry sand on PPG 2021 clear with white pad#5723 then Perfect-IT III Finishing Glaze #5941 . You may use black pad #5725 and the 5941 if not satisfied with prior results.
I would like to correct the minium RPM to 1750 as I checked my buffer today and it was NOT 3000 as I posted yesterday, my bust! Let me know. G$
Old 01-13-2006, 06:41 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Gmoney52
Not to 'dis anyone's system, but I use 3M Perfect-It III X-tra Cut (#05936) on #1200 DA dry sand on PPG 2021 clear with white pad#5723 then Perfect-IT III Finishing Glaze #5941 . You may use black pad #5725 and the 5941 if not satisfied with prior results.
I would like to correct the minium RPM to 1750 as I checked my buffer today and it was NOT 3000 as I posted yesterday, my bust! Let me know. G$
Been using the 3m 5725 on my portor cable buffer on the 4 setting.i'll try to find out what rpms that is.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To get out the swirl marks I use Finesse-it, by 3m. Been using it for years. Keep polisher speed around 1500.
Attached Thumbnails removing swirl marks ?-dscn0054-large-.jpg  
Old 01-13-2006, 04:31 PM
Registered

Re: removing swirl marks ?

[QUOTE=cobaltblue]I've always had good luck with 3M Finesse-It. You can even try 3M's new Imperial which breaks down as you buff it so it gets fine to take out the swirls.

Hey CB (that ok?) that's the Imperial advantage about continously breaking down into finer particles as you buff so it finishes out with a slick shine w/o swirls.

Just want to welcome you to the boards and look forward to your contributions. There is so much knowledge here I always learn something new. G$
Old 01-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Registered

Dumb question Doc, but what are you buffing? Imron, AwlGrip or other single-stage? Clear? Manufacturer? G$
Old 01-14-2006, 06:10 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I Also Use Finesse . Works Amazing On Older Gelcoat . But I Use It With A Cutting Wheel Not A Polishing Wheel.
I Am Looking For A Good Wax? Not Happy With Any From The Marine Store. The Teflon Stuff Looks Terible On My Boat And Car. Im Looking For Somekind Of Wax To Put On By Hand And Rubs Off Eazzzzzzy.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:29 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Gmoney52
Dumb question Doc, but what are you buffing? Imron, AwlGrip or other single-stage? Clear? Manufacturer? G$
Clear.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:46 PM
Registered

Hey Doc, is it PPG ? Hope it isn't Imron! LOL

You have probably haven't heard of "ENVY" wax,polish and sealant, because I found it at a car show and had never heard of it until it was demo'ed to me. I really like it and have used the "regulars" before and would just like to interject that "Nu Finish" was a nightmare to get off and didn't really have any advantage of durability over "Westleys" which went on and came off easily. I paint and buff 99% of the time and don't keep wax ( CRC, WD-40,etc) around for cross-contamination reasons, but I know there are more seasoned professionals reading this that could make an excellent reccomendation from their years of experience. G$

Quick Reply: removing swirl marks ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.