lexan or acrylic windscreen? >

lexan or acrylic windscreen?

Notices

lexan or acrylic windscreen?

Old 08-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question lexan or acrylic windscreen?

hope this is the appropriate area for this subject? I am planning to rebuild my wind screen, and was wondering what material would be best. Im planning to do it in white and have found a place that will cut the piece. I will have to shape it and drill the holes for the screws. This is on a VIP Vindicator approx 12" high in the center and wraps around thanks
Old 08-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Registered

Default Re: lexan or acrylic windscreen?

Am considering the same thing....anxious to see your responses. How ya gonna bend it?
Old 08-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Registered

I bought the acrylic today. they flattened the old piece to cut the new to match. Local plastics co. is going to make the cut and polish the edges. I went with 3/8" Im hoping with a few days in this 106 degree TX heat I can gradually make the bend. I may make a jig to keep in the back of the pickup. I will try to make some pics. Ive also heard to try maybe a heat gun on it. Its gonna be a challenge, but I think I can save $700, Thanks for the reply
Old 08-21-2006, 10:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the windscreen on my flybridge boat by cutting a pattern from the opposite one out of paper. Cut it to size and then mounted one end on the boat. By using a heat gun sparingly (keep it moving) I got the whole bend done in about 1/2 hour. Take a piece of scrap and see how long it takes to bend with the heat gun and then how long it takes to bubble-the stuff I used gave me a lot of leeway between bend and melt so it was pretty easy.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, there is a special plastic drill bit that keeps it from cracking at the hole-see if you can get one, works real well.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:53 AM
rws
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Acrylic is easy-er to work with than Lexan (Polycarbonite is the trade name.)The Lexan will bubble a lot sooner than Acrylic.WE make guards out of both at work.As far as finishing the edges,sand with a block of wood and sand paper starting with 120 grit work to about 400 then buff edges with a buffer.It is also possible to flame polish with a torch after sanding ,but this is a tricky procedure as it is easy to overheat and burn it.
I had bad luck with a local Plastic shop(quality Issues) and decided that "It ain't Rocket Science" so I figured out how to do it myself.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:23 PM
Registered

thanks for the replies. Im anticipating getting the plastic back this Friday and start the shaping process. I am searching for the ( H )? channel in white to join the side pieces to the center. any ideas for the screws with the snaps on them? can I get them in white?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Registered

Default lexan

lexan is a very strong, durable material. i use it a lot form a place called http://hightechplastics.com/ works great for me.