paint under water line.

Notices

paint under water line.

Old 10-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint under water line.

my paint below the water line (yellow ppg) is pimpling after 2 weeks in fresh water. this also same paint and diff. boat same brand did same thing. is there a paint that will hold up to this under water ?
Old 10-22-2006, 06:52 AM
Registered

Default Re: paint under water line.

You may can try Imron, But all solvents must leave the product before it goes to the water, and even then there is no guarantee. The small blisters are solvents trying to leave traped by the water causing the blister
Old 10-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

No automotive finished is recomended below the water line to include Imron, I have had it blister as well. That said the I did paint a boat with Standox I sold it three years after being painted and it still looked like the day I painted it. I know of others that have also held up.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

you used standox as the base and what clear coat
Old 10-22-2006, 10:19 AM
Registered

Is it single stage or a base coat/clear coat that is bubbling. The single stage holds up under the waterline, where as the 2-stage can/will bubble if left in the water.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BOATMAN302
you used standox as the base and what clear coat
Standox HS clear we also catalyzed the base coat for better adhesion it was pretty bullet proof
Old 10-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 32storm
Is it single stage or a base coat/clear coat that is bubbling. The single stage holds up under the waterline, where as the 2-stage can/will bubble if left in the water.
No automotive finish is recomended below the water line you have a better chance when clear coating because you have more millage to protect from gassing
Old 10-28-2006, 10:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by RBeyer
No automotive finish is recomended below the water line you have a better chance when clear coating because you have more millage to protect from gassing
Sorry, but I disagree. Take a look at all the old Formula's around from the 80's that have graphics below the waterline. All shot with single stage Imron. Normally you don't see them bubbled, even on boats that have been kept under water for extended periods of time. I have seen a lot of 2-stages where the clear bubbled under the waterline, including on Outerlimits, Fountains, Hustlers, etc.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 26sonic
my paint below the water line (yellow ppg) is pimpling after 2 weeks in fresh water. this also same paint and diff. boat same brand did same thing. is there a paint that will hold up to this under water ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No automotive finished is recomended below the water line to include Imron, I have had it blister as well. That said the I did paint a boat with Standox I sold it three years after being painted and it still looked like the day I painted it. I know of others that have also held up.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 32storm
Sorry, but I disagree. Take a look at all the old Formula's around from the 80's that have graphics below the waterline. All shot with single stage Imron. Normally you don't see them bubbled, even on boats that have been kept under water for extended periods of time. I have seen a lot of 2-stages where the clear bubbled under the waterline, including on Outerlimits, Fountains, Hustlers, etc.
The only time I would agree is if there was an insufficiant amount of flash time between Base and Clear. If the solvent has had enough time to evaporate you should not have a problem and the millage will protect you. The other concern is UV protection none from single stage. Why do people clear coat red boats? Still a big fan of Standox I,ve sold most products Dupont, PPG, BASF, etc. for 27 years it holds up the best from my expirience.

Last edited by RBeyer; 10-29-2006 at 05:46 PM. Reason: spelling