Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Transom rot! Looks like a long winter for me! >

Transom rot! Looks like a long winter for me!

Notices

Transom rot! Looks like a long winter for me!

Old 11-16-2006, 08:38 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Transom rot! Looks like a long winter for me!

The wood in the stringer is not what gives the stinger its strenght from what I have been told. It is the glass. The wood gives the glass support. If you cut it up at a angle then you should be fine. This will also get rid of your wet wood. The only way to get rid of the wet wood is to cut it out.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 436 Likes on 289 Posts

sorry for your problem but very interesting to read and see pictures... Good luck!
Old 11-17-2006, 08:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well...I got the whole frig'n thing out last night. The other side was alot harder to get out. I would say 12 hours total to cut out the transom. Not counting the mechanicals. My hands look as if they were on a hunting trip with Dick Cheney. Holes everywhere. (real men don't wear gloves...real stupid ones at least). I have decided to cut the stringers, going to do that part this week end. Looking ahead, what materials should I use for this job. Keeping in mind that I will be filling the wholes and gelcoating the exterior of the transom. My old timer buddy tells me to use West sytems boatyard resin and matt cloth. With marine-tex on all the seams. But I'm sure that epoxy is the better choice. Also have been told not to bother with marine grade plywood, by two different and reputable glass shops. I sure ain't looking forward to paying $80 a sheet but I certainly don't want to compromise the job. What do you think? Here are some pics of the transome removed, note how high Formula ran the stringers up the transom.
Attached Thumbnails Transom rot! Looks like a long winter for me!-transom4.jpg   Transom rot! Looks like a long winter for me!-transom5.jpg   Transom rot! Looks like a long winter for me!-transomess.jpg  

Old 11-17-2006, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoreratboy
I made a smoke'n deal on all the Bravo stuff I need for the conversion.

Thanks Guys...
That is for dayum sure
Old 11-17-2006, 09:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Biz
That is for dayum sure
You know it Jeremy!

Joe
Old 11-17-2006, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know it Jeremy!

Joe
BTW starting on it tonight Joe
Old 11-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Also have been told not to bother with marine grade plywood, by two different and reputable glass shops. I sure ain't looking forward to paying $80 a sheet but I certainly don't want to compromise the job. What do you think? Here are some pics of the transome removed, note how high Formula ran the stringers up the transom.
That info is correct on the Plywood ... I would just use the good both sides 3/4" .... Use the west systems epoxy and use the high Density filler ...when you mix that stuff it sticks to anything .... Where is the wet wood on the Stringer ? Right where it "T's" into the Transom ? On my 311 there was about 1/2 inch or so gap where the Stringer tied into the transom ... the Glass of course is tabbed in to the transom glass .... If that is where the wet wood is .... I would cut back till you get to good dry wood and then remove the outer layer or two of plywood ... leaving the center layers ..then you can overlap the new wood over the old plywood ...
look at the pics of the 311 stringer ....it carries that same height almost all the way forward .....m
Old 11-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by offshore ginger
i guess people in FLA, fix boats like thay build a house . i sure hope it is not because of a hurricane . ha ha ha ha G . G .

come on down ..........
Old 11-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regular exterior grade plywood is what we always use. We use vinylester unless the boat is kevlar or built with epoxy. Transoms usually only rot because manufacturers send them out of the factory with areas of the wood exposed to water. Just make sure to completely encapsulate your transom with fiberglass BEFORE you use any gel coat. Don't put any wood down in the drain plug area. I usually use a hole saw in this area and cut out a 2" area and after I set the transom i fill it with Adtech and then glass over it. This way even if you don't seal your drain plug assembly water can't get to the wood. Also if you cut away a small portion of the stringer you can use glass to tab the stringer into the new transom and you will be fine. One thing to note is that you do not get GP resin. You don't want to be rushed and GP resins are usually faster curing and also inconsistent. Laminating or vinylester will give you a lot more working time. Epoxy is definitely superior but you have to get mat designed without a polyester binder for use with epoxy. Most boats are built with polyester.

Last edited by SpeedGirl; 11-19-2006 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offshore ginger
4 ply , that is used for building homes or 7 ply , for marine use

the 3/4 exterior grade plywood they sell at Lowe's is 7 ply with knot free sheathing on both sides (9 ply).

Quick Reply: Transom rot! Looks like a long winter for me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.