Spraying Gel Cote >

Spraying Gel Cote

Notices

Spraying Gel Cote

Old 01-28-2007, 05:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Spraying Gel Cote

you also have the choice of spraying straight gel on to fill voids and low area's. Then come back and coat that with 50 50 duratec and gel. It will give you a thick finished look with shine to match. when you use gel, you get some chemical bonding. Others only have mechanical bonding

hope this helps.

Bill

Last edited by Bottoms Up; 01-28-2007 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:17 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Tomcie: Unless you were mixing Durratech or Waxing agent into your last coat then your gel never dried. I do not care who's product you used. If you do not remember using one of those then you did it wrong. I had the exact same thing happen to me in my engine bay. I had a "pro" doing the work. It never dried. I am pissed. The problem that you and I now have is that you have gel that is not hard. So you have to do one of two things from what I have figured out so far. Gell over the top of the old stuff after you wipe it down good with acetone. Clean it with hardener, gell, then top coat with what ever you want..... I am still up in the air. I think that to put anything on top of that is a HUGE mistake.

Jon
Old 01-28-2007, 07:03 PM

Imron or Awl Grip is all I use. Depends on the Job. Brushed on, Indestructable and easy to use and clean up.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 138 Likes on 61 Posts

I did wipe off all un cured gell with acetone. It's hard now but dull. I believe I will sand w/ some ruff paper then something a little milder. I will wipe down with more acetone and then brush on Imron. What do you think?
Old 01-29-2007, 07:10 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Should work well as long as you get all the uncured stuff off that is what I would do. If you have any question if you got it all off then I would do a coat of gell that is properly set up to cure then do the Imron over that.

Jon
Old 02-17-2007, 05:58 AM
Registered

Default Audio Fin Is

RIGHT . I would get something hard and the spray a white coat of what ever you want to use on it.....

Bill
Old 02-17-2007, 03:13 PM
Registered

If you want the gelcoat to cure completly all you have to do is cover it with an air barrier. If you want to go the cheap route you can use pam cooking spray, otherwise pick up PVA, Companies like evercoat make it. you just spray it on the gelcoat give it time to cure and then wash off with water. I've attached a before pic from when I removed flotation from a previous boat, I have after pics but I have to convert the file if you would like I can email them to you.
Attached Thumbnails Spraying Gel Cote-oshkosh-thunder-2002.jpg  
Old 02-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Registered

I need to paint my bilge also. there is some ood advice here. I was going to gel coat, but not now. Where is the best place to get awlgrip? How far does one galon go? I have a single engine bay.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Registered

Location: Where the water meets the oaks 'n Pines in the Sierra Nevada's of NorCal
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tote-N-One
I need to paint my bilge also. there is some ood advice here. I was going to gel coat, but not now. Where is the best place to get awlgrip? How far does one galon go? I have a single engine bay.
This web site guided me to a local distrib that is walking me through the process-just waiting for the temps to raise.

http://www.awlgrip.com/awlgrip_pages/allcountries.htm