price quote for paint? >

price quote for paint?

Notices

price quote for paint?

Old 06-26-2007, 12:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default price quote for paint?

Just curious as to how much i can expect for a quote when I get a paint job done. It'll be done in stages.. Id like to take the boat to a painter with no interior/motors/drives and have them paint it inside and out a solid color.

its a 33' overall length boat.. What can I expect ??
Old 06-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to a local shop just last week and asked just about the same question. The only thing different here is that I have done all the prep work and I already have the paint. I just wanted the guy to spray the whole hull, inside and out, just the white base coat. This douchebag told me $2000.00 just to spray it!!!! My boat is only 24' and it's an older style Outlaw...not something with lots of curves and whatnot. I told the guy to kiss my azz and I walked out of his shop. I expected a max price of $1000 since I had done all the work and I am supplying the paint.....am I wrong in my assumption??? I think the guy was just being like most marine businesses and trying to make a fast buck and rip me off.....Can't trust anybody these days. Looks like like the paint is going to be a Capt. Chuck special that I am going to spray myself!!!!

Last edited by CAPTAIN CHUCK; 06-26-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:46 PM
Registered

I just paid $ 6500 to have a 31 IMP Painted from the rub rail up, And I took everything apart and put it back together....i dont think 2K to spray it is out of line at all if its done well.....
Old 06-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CPTCHUCK 2K to spray the boat doesn't seem out of line to me. There is considerable work in spraying a boat and it is labr intesive are the paint has dried, buffing etc.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by CAPTCHUCKV
I went to a local shop just last week and asked just about the same question. The only thing different here is that I have done all the prep work and I already have the paint. I just wanted the guy to spray the whole hull, inside and out, just the white base coat. This douchebag told me $2000.00 just to spray it!!!! My boat is only 24' and it's an older style Outlaw...not something with lots of curves and whatnot. I told the guy to kiss my azz and I walked out of his shop. I expected a max price of $1000 since I had done all the work and I am supplying the paint.....am I wrong in my assumption??? I think the guy was just being like most marine businesses and trying to make a fast buck and rip me off.....Can't trust anybody these days. Looks like like the paint is going to be a Capt. Chuck special that I am going to spray myself!!!!
that is a very fair price as im sure you will soon see . . . some pretty stiff comments to those of us in the biz there cap'n. luckily you can excersize your right to take it elsewhere or do it yourself. I know didnt open my shop because i wanted to give people deals out of the goodness of my heart. while im not the most expensive i am certainly far from the cheapest. long an short of it . . . most places probably dont really care what your boat looks like . . . they can however be paid to care
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 06-27-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Registered

Dave, I guess the comments were kind of harsh but I say that because I have had 3 different companies, here where I live, bend me over. It may be different in Ohio but here in south La it's a crap shoot when you bring your boat to a shop for work. I try to do all the work my boat needs, myself, for that reason.

Originally Posted by glassdave
that is a very fair price as im sure you will soon see . . . some pretty stiff comments there cap'n
Old 06-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

point taken, it does happen. if you need any tips feel free to call, i get probably half a dozen calls a week from board members working through their projects. always willing to lend advice if i can. good luck with the project , i do remember you have had some pretty tough luck with that boat

oh . . . an i will actually give you real advice. not advice to get you in trouble because i'm slighted by the comments
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Registered

Thanks Dave....It has been quite a ride with this project but you know what they say....Live and learn.(mostly the hard way) I'm calling you in ten.....
Old 06-28-2007, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Chuck, I'm with Dave on this one. If you've ever seen the labor involved in shooting a boat, it's unbelievable. Then, as Dave said, the work that goes on after the actual spraying to make the final product look nice is another ball of wax. When you are spraying something of that size, the paint begins to "tack-up" before you get the entire object sprayed. So, you wind up with overspray on the entire boat. Solution? Wet sand and buff the whole boat. Or, do it in stages (interior first, then tape off the interior and spray the exterior). Either way, loads of labor.

The other thing is very few painters want something to come to them already "prepped". You are going to hold that painter responsible for the final outcome of the paint job so he will typically want to handle it from start to finish.

I know at my automotive shop, I don't typically install parts that people carry in. For one, they are taking money out of my pocket. Second thing is, how can I warranty something that I have no idea where it came from? (much like if you bring the boat in already prepped and with your own paint).

Not taking a swipe at you or trying to be a wise-ass, just looking from the shop owners angle. And you're right about South Louisiana, we have very few avenues to get projects like this done.

PS - I spent 2 grand just to get some touch-up work done on my Top Gun before I picked it up. Very little touch-up work! The price we pay to play.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:35 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Croozin2
Chuck, I'm with Dave on this one. If you've ever seen the labor involved in shooting a boat, it's unbelievable. Then, as Dave said, the work that goes on after the actual spraying to make the final product look nice is another ball of wax. When you are spraying something of that size, the paint begins to "tack-up" before you get the entire object sprayed. So, you wind up with overspray on the entire boat. Solution? Wet sand and buff the whole boat. Or, do it in stages (interior first, then tape off the interior and spray the exterior). Either way, loads of labor.

The other thing is very few painters want something to come to them already "prepped". You are going to hold that painter responsible for the final outcome of the paint job so he will typically want to handle it from start to finish.

I know at my automotive shop, I don't typically install parts that people carry in. For one, they are taking money out of my pocket. Second thing is, how can I warranty something that I have no idea where it came from? (much like if you bring the boat in already prepped and with your own paint).

Not taking a swipe at you or trying to be a wise-ass, just looking from the shop owners angle. And you're right about South Louisiana, we have very few avenues to get projects like this done.

PS - I spent 2 grand just to get some touch-up work done on my Top Gun before I picked it up. Very little touch-up work! The price we pay to play.
I agree & well said.. Jamie / Lakeside

Quick Reply: price quote for paint?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.