trailer overhaul >

trailer overhaul

Notices

trailer overhaul

Old 07-16-2007, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer overhaul

I'm looking for information about repainting my trailer. I am thinking about having a local shop sandblast my trailer so it can be repainted.

The trailer is a 21' single axle bunk trailer. It needs the works. Paint, bunks, winch, jack, and probably a fender or two.

Where is a good place to buy replacement parts? Can I use pressure treated 2x6 for bunks, or do I need something special. What type of paint should be used, and how much do I need if I do it myself? I think I should use an epoxy primer and a lacquer top coat. Anyone have a suggestion on brand, type or quantity of paint, or primer.

I realize this is a big question, and any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You are probably better off buying new by the time you are done but hear goes.

Champion Trailer for the parts

Yes you can use pressure treated

I would use Imron or similiar

No one uses lacquer any more
Old 07-17-2007, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are better finding cypress wood for the bunks than using pressure treated.

You'll probably have close to the price of a new or newer trailer invested when done though.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Registered

So far it's 150 or so to blast and 3-400 to paint. Add 200 for bunks, winch and misc. I'm looking at $800 tops. I may just have it blasted and paint it myself. Thats why I'm trying to find out what type, and how much paint I need. Not sure if I should use etching or epoxy primer and enamel or urethane paint. Sorry, I'm still reading up.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I've done a lot of projects myselft for the satisfaction, or because no one else would do it to my satisfaction. So, if that is your reason, you'll have a nice trailer when done.

But, if it's to save money, be sure to consider your tires, brake shoes/backing plate, wiring and lights, any rust inside the box frame, brake accuator, bearings, etc. All of these items have a life expecentcy, and they will not be new if you redo the trailer yourself. If figuring in the wear on these items, buying a new trailer may not be as expensive. What's a 20 foot trailer cost anyway?
Old 07-18-2007, 08:22 AM
Registered

If these guys are close enough give them a shout http://www.westsidewelding.com/material.htm

I know I guy that used them for some automotive work and also for a heavy equipment trailer. Prices seemed pretty cheap, I will do mine in a few years, and I was going to try this shop.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:37 PM
Registered

I don't know what a new trailer will cost. I'm guessing considerably more than 800. I enjoy getting my hands dirty, and the satisfaction of a job well done. I'm just trying to cover all the bases before I get started.

Any advise as to brands or quantity of paint/primer needed?
Old 07-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Registered

I guess I'm doing this myself. Took off the bunks and steps and found a bunch of rust. Fenders were rusted through, so I cut them off. Started cutting off what was left of the mounting tabs for the steps and it started getting dark. I'm going to use aluminum diamond plate for the steps rather than wood and carpet.

Still looking for type and quantity of paint need if anyone knows.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you do that make sure to put a rubber insulator between the metals so that you do nto get galvanic corrosion.

Jon
Old 07-20-2007, 08:33 AM
Registered

I am going to try Matrix paints, they are made here in MI and are really close to PPG (other than the price!!), I am at best a shade tree painter. I would contact a local rep and talk them. I will use a urethane primer and a single stage top coat. I have also used Nason which is DuPont’s lower line.

Jim

Quick Reply: trailer overhaul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.