Notices

Bottom Paint

Old 11-30-2007, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bottom Paint

Recently purchased a 1994 32' Sunsation Dominator. Boat has never been bottom painted. Sadly, the "trailer queen" route is just not feasible and it's going to have to spend the summer months in the water (Lake Erie). That brings me to the necessary evil....bottom paint.

Due to budget, this is going to be a DIY project. We've been looking at using the Interlux Interprotect system: Interprotect 2000E (epoxy water barrier) and Micron Plus (anti-fouling).

Anyone have any experience with these products as far as application, durability and effectiveness?
Old 11-30-2007, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan8886
Recently purchased a 1994 32' Sunsation Dominator. Boat has never been bottom painted. Sadly, the "trailer queen" route is just not feasible and it's going to have to spend the summer months in the water (Lake Erie). That brings me to the necessary evil....bottom paint.

Due to budget, this is going to be a DIY project. We've been looking at using the Interlux Interprotect system: Interprotect 2000E (epoxy water barrier) and Micron Plus (anti-fouling).

Anyone have any experience with these products as far as application, durability and effectiveness?
I have not used that product but have used interlux on my Proline. Application is pretty easy but time consuming. Sand all areas to be coated then wipe down with thinner. tape it all off and paint. Let dry and put the second coat on. The interlux product i have on my CC has 2 coats and was done 7 years ago. The boat stays in the water 10 months out of the year and we have not had to recoat the bottom stays very clean(brackish water) Good luck and be careful under the boat.

If you run the boat alot in the summer and can haul it once a week for a good cleaning i would not worry about the bottom paint.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BY U BOY
I have not used that product but have used interlux on my Proline. Application is pretty easy but time consuming. Sand all areas to be coated then wipe down with thinner. tape it all off and paint. Let dry and put the second coat on. The interlux product i have on my CC has 2 coats and was done 7 years ago. The boat stays in the water 10 months out of the year and we have not had to recoat the bottom stays very clean(brackish water) Good luck and be careful under the boat.

If you run the boat alot in the summer and can haul it once a week for a good cleaning i would not worry about the bottom paint.

Theoretically, it could be pulled every couple weeks to clean....however the real concern is moisture. Don't want to have it back at the glass shop next year for hull blisters and a transom rebuild.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Registered

Theoretically, it could be pulled every couple weeks to clean....however the real concern is moisture. Don't want to have it back at the glass shop next year for hull blisters and a transom rebuild.
Back at the glass shop? Have you had problems with that already?
Old 11-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BY U BOY
Back at the glass shop? Have you had problems with that already?
Just purchased it. Had some bottom repairs needed, so getting that done over the winter. Just some stress cracks and burst blisters that the surveyor found. About a 4'x4' area being ground out and repaired. Both surveyor and shop say it'll be better than new when done. It has, however, given me a healthy respect for the cost of glasswork to the tune of about $3K; and I've read the horror stories of wet hulls.

I'd love to rack store it or some other option, however it's just not feasible costwise or logistically. I'm not thrilled about the idea of having to paint it, but I don't have the budget of some on here. Life dictates it has to be water-stored for the summer. Based on that, I'm looking for my best option.

Last edited by Ryan8886; 11-30-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Registered

Just purchased it. Had some bottom repairs needed, so getting that done over the winter. Just some stress cracks and burst blisters that the surveyor found. About a 4'x4' area being ground out and repaired. Both surveyor and shop say it'll be better than new when done. It has, however, given me a healthy respect for the cost of glasswork to the tune of about $3K; and I've read the horror stories of wet hulls.

I'd love to rack store it or some other option, however it's just not feasible costwise or logistically. I'm not thrilled about the idea of having to paint it, but I don't have the budget of some on here. Life dictates it has to be water-stored for the summer. Based on that, I'm looking for my best option.
maybe you can find a used hydrolift
Old 11-30-2007, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can pull it out every few weeks to clean it I wouldnt worry about it, Ive never had a problem with mine, my father never has with his Donzi either hes owned it since new (89) drives truck too so back in the day it would sit in the water for a few weeks at a time b4 even moving, I usually scrubb mine on the weekends at the beach and pull out every 3-4 unless for some other reason it comes out in the mean time, I also find that a good coat of wax in evry now and then help=s everything come off a lot easier, but thats a hole nother debate, keep in mind if you ever need or choose to sell it you will have to give it away, with that said I know nothing about bottom paint and can't recomend anything
Old 12-01-2007, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep in mind they don't stay new for ever. My truck is sitting outside rusting right now but I'm not losin sleep over it! Either live with bottom paint or deal with blisters down the road. It won't rot apart in one season. Run it for a year and inspect for moisture and blisters. If there is a problem then choose your route of sealing it. My bisters dry out over winter and are gone by spring.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The products you mentioned will work fine. Those are the same as I use on every bottom paint job I haave ever done. But, like everyone else is saying, I would not go that route. If you can pull it out every other week to wash you will be fine. I do the same thing with mine. I have a trailer but not a truck big enough to put the boat in and out and can't justify the marina prices either (I worked for one until 2 weeks ago). Just do as mentioned and save up for the trailer and get one next year, you will not regret it. If you do go with the bottom paint, be carefull with the 2000E barrier coat and wear a very good mask, that stuff will kill ya! Good luck to you either way.
Brandon
Old 12-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brandon
The products you mentioned will work fine. Those are the same as I use on every bottom paint job I haave ever done. But, like everyone else is saying, I would not go that route. If you can pull it out every other week to wash you will be fine. I do the same thing with mine. I have a trailer but not a truck big enough to put the boat in and out and can't justify the marina prices either (I worked for one until 2 weeks ago). Just do as mentioned and save up for the trailer and get one next year, you will not regret it. If you do go with the bottom paint, be carefull with the 2000E barrier coat and wear a very good mask, that stuff will kill ya! Good luck to you either way.
Brandon
Thanks Brandon!

I'm in a similar situation to you....it's on a trailer...I just don't have the ability to haul it. My partner on this has more than enough truck to tow it, however with the size, hassle, etc. it just ain't worth it. Besides.....it's too big to store at either of our houses anyway. My marina has VERY reasonable prices for the season, hence the need to keep it in the water. I talked with my partner today and I think we're going to hold off on the bottom paint for this season. Looking into possibly using an Airdock if the marina will let us. Really want to avoid painting it if I can.

Quick Reply: Bottom Paint

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.