Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Gel Coat or Awlgrip >

Gel Coat or Awlgrip

Notices

Gel Coat or Awlgrip

Old 04-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks, mine is done with concept and no clear. just looking for validation. I wax once a year, shines like crazy, six years and the paint is still perfect.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Registered

Location: Ocean Pines, Maryland. Wish I was at MANGOS in MIAMI!
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's the two I did, first the 42 foot RAY DAVIS I RE-STORED yes it's the same boat 2 years of !#%**@#$$$$$$ 1808 and west sytem the entire boat.

AWL GRIP rolled and tipped 6 coats sanded in between every coat.! Paint brush never got wet during the tipping process. Awl grip is extremely sensitive to humidity/moisture. I did this outside in a yard. Couldn't figure out why it was so beautiful the day we paionted it and then would totally be flat the next morning.

Fog would roll in off of the water and dull the paint out. Stared out at break of dawn and everything was fine. Finally!!!!!

Next job I did not do, it was sprayed with AWL CRAFT.
Big difference AWL CRAFT can be sanded and buffed.......AWL Grip generally can not from what I am told.

Naturally the AWL GRIP is supposed to be much tougher than the AWL CRAFT...still tough though.
Attached Thumbnails Gel Coat or Awlgrip-ray-davis-shed-8.jpg   Gel Coat or Awlgrip-ray-davis-westem-3.jpg   Gel Coat or Awlgrip-ray-davis-1.jpg  

Old 04-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Registered

And more picts..oh yeah most of it was sanded by hand!
Attached Thumbnails Gel Coat or Awlgrip-ray-davis-3.jpg   Gel Coat or Awlgrip-ray-davis-6.jpg   Gel Coat or Awlgrip-ray-davis-2.jpg  

Old 04-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Registered

And the Midnight I bought and re-did after I sold the RAy Davis.thank god! Before and after
Attached Thumbnails Gel Coat or Awlgrip-dock.jpg   Gel Coat or Awlgrip-quarter-mid-lagoon-large-.jpg   Gel Coat or Awlgrip-midnight-logo-new-large-.jpg  

Old 04-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Registered

And my newest and last project ever!!!!!..don't quote me I sold the dark blue Midnight

The last " original" 37 Midnight Express long deck.

Colors are going to be black hull sides and ice blue top deck.

The blue is tinted white 545 primer, and we jus sanded and primed the hull sides today with grey 545 epoxy primer.

STAY TUNED..I may go extreme with thte finish of top deck and hull sides. Need to decide TONIGHT!

GLASS DAVE can you guess what I am thinkin????! And tell me if I am completely nuts just think stealth bomber
Attached Thumbnails Gel Coat or Awlgrip-blue-primer-3.jpg   Gel Coat or Awlgrip-blue-primer-6.jpg   Gel Coat or Awlgrip-blue-primer5.jpg  

Old 04-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Next job I did not do, it was sprayed with AWL CRAFT.
Big difference AWL CRAFT can be sanded and buffed.......AWL Grip generally can not from what I am told.

this was done in awlgrip by brush and then wet sanded(1000 then 1500) and then buffed with 3M perfect itIII micro.
Attached Thumbnails Gel Coat or Awlgrip-p1010041.jpg   Gel Coat or Awlgrip-e15.jpg  
Old 04-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 295 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Enforcer2
And my newest and last project ever!!!!!..don't quote me I sold the dark blue Midnight

The last " original" 37 Midnight Express long deck.

Colors are going to be black hull sides and ice blue top deck.

The blue is tinted white 545 primer, and we jus sanded and primed the hull sides today with grey 545 epoxy primer.

STAY TUNED..I may go extreme with thte finish of top deck and hull sides. Need to decide TONIGHT!

GLASS DAVE can you guess what I am thinkin????! And tell me if I am completely nuts just think stealth bomber
hmmm . . .interesting . . . . I will be in the area in about 6 weeks. . . . . stealth huh. . . . interesting . . . whats your thoughts

boat looks great by the way

Hey can you explain the tipping process? I have heard the term and wondered about it and how its done.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 04-12-2008 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Registered

this was done in awlgrip by brush and then wet sanded(1000 then 1500) and then buffed with 3M perfect itIII micro.[/QUOTE]

Looks great but you just removed the protective properties of the AWL GRIP should have just used AWL CRAFT.

I know you can sand and buff awl grip but u will never be able to blend an awl grip hull side like u can with awl craft if it is damaged.

a Bilge u will never notice but what makes awl grip superior over awl craft is the epoxy,.... by sanding it you are removing it.

Does look very nice though.

Last edited by Enforcer2; 04-12-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
hmmm . . .interesting . . . . I will be in the area in about 6 weeks. . . . . stealth huh. . . . interesting . . . whats your thoughts

boat looks great by the way

Hey can you explain the tipping process? I have heard the term and wondered about it and how its done.
Well my buddy the painter opened his big mouth and said to me...............ya know this would lok bad azz in all flat finish instead of gloss. (Just add flattening agent)

And I said hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...and have been thinkin about it for about a day and a half now..

It is definetly an extreme idea and would be a whole heck of a lot easier to take care of ( an undetectable just kiddin).

I have noticed that the newest trend in the high end cars like the Lambos and Porches is this type of finish. I have also been noticing a trend with the hot rods...of course this is nothing new for them.

Make sure you contact me when you come to town. SEACRETS is awaiting your arrival!!

I think I am going to stay with gloss.....although I was really close to doing it.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Registered

Hey can you explain the tipping process? I have heard the term and wondered about it and how its done.[/QUOTE]

Sorry Dave forgot this, well it is definetly an art form and it takes a great amount of patience.

After we 545ed the boat we sanded it. Then you roll the paint on the boat( we used the foam hot dog rollers, they also sell special rollers the red and white ones) my buddy simaltaneously literally tipped the paint with a badger hair brush.

This is the first time I ever attempted something of this magnitude and it came out really nice. I would have like to put the paint on heavier but we were a little intimidated by the flow of the paint as we tipped it. We were also using additives for improving the flow of paint and reducing brush marks.

The paint brush barely ever gets wet. I was amazed after looking at the brush as we completed one side that it looked unused.

It is a very tedious process but comes out flawless if done properly.

The down side is that you have to sand in between every coat. We put 6 coats on.

We didn't spray due to not having a facility to put boat in and not wanting to build a plastic enclosure.

The paint job was done outdoors in the middle of a dirt yard and came out nearly perfect.

I know a guy that does this every day around here and u would think the boat just came back from a spray booth........just amazing.

Last edited by Enforcer2; 04-12-2008 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Gel Coat or Awlgrip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.