Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Gel Coat or Awlgrip >

Gel Coat or Awlgrip

Notices

Gel Coat or Awlgrip

Old 04-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Registered

Location: Ocean Pines, Maryland. Wish I was at MANGOS in MIAMI!
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 31scarab31
Hey Gentlemen,

I greatly appreciate the information. Your information is allowing me to sleep better with some hope. Like i said the work came out pretty good, maybe I am just a perfectionist and I want a smooth, shinny, fast azz shinny bottom boat.

So I'm going to the shop tomorrow and asking them to wet sand it and buff!!! Again guys thanks for the info. Monstaaa I will send yall some clips when the job is finished!!!
No problem, you're welcome. I always have to learn things the hard way...that's why OSO is the best!! Anytime we can help one another out. At least someone will save $$$$$

god luck.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by madbouyz
+From my own personal experiences+

Have had three seperate 'spot repairs' or blow ins done by three different applicators , of course each one claims to be 'expert' in Awlgrip .... (yeah , right ...!)

ALL THREE developed a tan coloured blush/ring around the blow in after the boats made it back out into the environment and they weathered for a few months.
No matter how good it looks in the shop !

I'm having a battle royal right now with a service person and the insurance company over this ..
that is unforetunate for you.

i can repeat myself, and say i personally have never had issues like this with awl grip.
pep is the route to all that is evil in the paint world. and when it comes to blending that issue triples in severity. there is a proper way to blend and have perfect results. i have touched up, blended , resprayed, and 2 tone taped this stuff. it is very difficult no doubt. but as with wiring, if you do not know your stuff and are not attentive to detail you will absolutely have issues.
how many people. pro's. do you know whom claim to be riggers??? guess what same result as your local painters.
i am not claiming to be all knowing or gods gift to this industry, but rather giving input in area's of expertise that i have spent many, many hours of study, gaining knowledge and applying it to attain what i feel is an exceptible result.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Enforcer2
Maybe you can go the route that they voided manufacturer's warranty by sanding ???
Appreciate the thought but warrantees don't hold much weight out here where the service provider thinks he knows everything and the product manufacturer considers you an 'international problem' because you're not within the continental US.

Monstaa / Initially the blow ins appeared to be fine . IF you looked carefully in the right light , you could always tell where the applicator fought to bring the two finishes together with compounding etc. The problem always appeared a few months down the road when the resins and waxes weathered out and the big 'ring' shows up and then you end up with premature chalking .