Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Bilge Paint, something easy to apply? >

Bilge Paint, something easy to apply?

Notices

Bilge Paint, something easy to apply?

Old 03-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bilge Paint, something easy to apply?

I did a search but it was too tough diggin through all the threads tryin to find this info..

My motors are comin out soon and bein sent off for rebuilds and I want to redo my bilge and re-rig it.

A lot of the holes that were drilled in from the last owners engine swaps and amateur rigging are still there.. How can i fill these in before paint? most are small holes from screws. Can I just put some caulking in there and call it good?

Im looking for some bilge paint that I can apply myself in either spray form or paint on form. I have yellow gelcoat with black splatter. I want to go bright white..

Any advice?
Old 03-13-2008, 10:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bilgekote is quick, easy Y cheap.

Rustoleum Industrial 9100 epoxy goes on nice with a roller and is tougher than steel plate. It'll take 2 coats minimum. If you use the water immersion activator it kills some of the gloss. The stuff is so har and so slick, standing on the slope of the bilge becomes impossible. I put traction additive on the first coat when it's wet. It's basically 24 grit AlOx.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my bilge is so incredibly small that i wouldnt ever be in it walking around! I just want something that looks brighter and shows oil drips easier. is it easy to clean? I seem to get a lot of belt dust and whatnot in mine and it sticks.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We use the rustoleum on our machinery. It gets vehicle traffic, massive amounts of dirt & grease and pretty much a daily beating. The stuff doesn't chip, stain or wear. Downside- as far as I know the smallest size you can get is gallons. That's one of paint, one of activator. One gallon covers a pretty fair amount of real estate.

I understand Sherwin Williams has an equivalent and it may be available in smaller sizes- can't tell you any more though.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its a job get ready prep prep and prep is key to this job. I have done several and tell myself this is the last one everytime if you strip one all the way down to nothing in the bilge and do it right. Lots of work.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

carter what do you use? i think i might just go with bilgekote but i dont want to sell myself short
Old 03-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

BilgeKote.
Quick & easy.
Before - After.
Attached Images    
Old 03-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer35
carter what do you use? i think i might just go with bilgekote but i dont want to sell myself short
I have used a couple different ones the stuff I liked the best was epoxy tile clade by sherwin williams.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bilgekote.....
Attached Thumbnails Bilge Paint, something easy to apply?-dscn0282.jpg   Bilge Paint, something easy to apply?-dscn0308.jpg  
Old 03-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bilgecoat yellows. I used regular rustoleom and a brush and roller this time. Looks great!
Attached Thumbnails Bilge Paint, something easy to apply?-hpim0134.jpg   Bilge Paint, something easy to apply?-hpim0137.jpg  

Quick Reply: Bilge Paint, something easy to apply?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.