Blueprinting the bottom >

Blueprinting the bottom

Notices

Blueprinting the bottom

Old 09-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tony manzella
I,ll post mhp gain or doughtfull loss, and let you know how it handles , should be posted by the week ending 6/14/08 NABBERS has done this once before and I picked up 3.7 gps but that was before I bought a trailer that fit my haul and did alot more upgrades .
I'm very interested in what you might have gained. I have not found much at all on the smaller boats unless they are running 80+ mph. 1 or 2 mph is about it unless there was an obvious flaw. 30' and above is where I start to see 3 to 5 mph gains and even as much as 8 on 3 boats that I have done. I'm wondering what you gained for top speed.

www.bowkersfiberglass.com

Last edited by Martin B; 09-08-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm very interested in an update also.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Registered

The critical issue is how bad or good is the bottom to start with. I had my Hustler done. It was extremely good to start with, so the results were insignificant. However, have seen case where bottoms had issues, and they picked up 3-5 MPH.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Registered

Hello folks,

Can someone recomend a glass shop in the Chi-Town Area, I need some transom holes filled and I wanted to have the bottom looked at to possibly blueprint it.
Old 05-05-2024, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 175 Posts

Old thread, but a good one. I bought this old mint 28 Saber less power and had it rerigged with some old 502 mags. This is hull #3, 1989 28 Saber Offshore, which was probably the last model before they changed the hull up a bit to fix the turning issues and believe they extended the outside chine. This seemed to be kind of the prototype for the 28 Cyclone which won offshore powerboat of the year in 94 I believe.

We did a shakedown run and it ran well, but really wants to lay down on its side when turning, so bad that you really have to drop the inside tab just to get a decent turn out of it. Have read about others dipping the rub rail in the water not knowing the steering characteristics. What can be done, if anything, to improve the turning? I was thinking this hull could benefit from making the inside chines 90 degree, but don't think that was done with the later models from what I can tell of the transom pics I've seen. Not sure what could be done to the outside chine, perhaps build it up a little to make it a reverse chine? Any idea on cost? Think I may need a small hook removed as well.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 620 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Old thread, but a good one. I bought this old mint 28 Saber less power and had it rerigged with some old 502 mags. This is hull #3, 1989 28 Saber Offshore, which was probably the last model before they changed the hull up a bit to fix the turning issues and believe they extended the outside chine. This seemed to be kind of the prototype for the 28 Cyclone which won offshore powerboat of the year in 94 I believe.

We did a shakedown run and it ran well, but really wants to lay down on its side when turning, so bad that you really have to drop the inside tab just to get a decent turn out of it. Have read about others dipping the rub rail in the water not knowing the steering characteristics. What can be done, if anything, to improve the turning? I was thinking this hull could benefit from making the inside chines 90 degree, but don't think that was done with the later models from what I can tell of the transom pics I've seen. Not sure what could be done to the outside chine, perhaps build it up a little to make it a reverse chine? Any idea on cost? Think I may need a small hook removed as well.
Hard to tell by the angle of the pic but the strakes and the chine look to be half the size of what you see on other performance hulls. Also the lower strake running all the way to the transom is odd.

My buddy had a 25 foot Hydro Sport outboard that would layover like that and stay over while going in a straight line . It was like it fell off the strake and the chine on the one side that layed down.

You had to crank the wheel hard over the opposite way to get the boat level again.

I had never experienced that in a boat before . I took a look at the bottom on his lift and it had only one small strake on each side .