Repaint Boat Trailer >

Repaint Boat Trailer

Notices

Repaint Boat Trailer

Old 07-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is "trailercoat" and where do you get it?

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
Trailercoat is a good paint if you don't want to go through the multi stage process.

You will have to get the rust off no matter what though.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Registered

Did you have any luck with local shops in MO? I have a 28' Heat, which has a rusty trailer like yours. I called a place in Wentzville who quoted me $1,000 to sand blast and paint, but the boat has to be off the trailer. I was going to have them do mine, but I was recently laid off.

If you find anyone else better, please let me know.

Thanks,
Old 07-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The Wentsville shop was all I found so far in the Stlouis area. $800 for sand blast, epoxy primer and polyurethane top coat if I take all the bunks and lights off. Since my trailer is at Table Rock Lake I have been focusing on Springfield, MO shops lately. Ozark Sand Blasting (417-866-8266) $150 - $175 if the paint comes off easy more up to ~$200 if not. That should not be a problem. A nearby MACCO $400 for epoxy primer and acrylic enamel or polyeurethane (if my trailer will fit in their oven - max length 26'10"). Ozark Sand Blasting recommended a local automotive body repair shop who quoted $500 to black epoxy primer, white epoxy color coat and clearcoat basecoat final. This guy can also repair my dented trailer fender and sounds like he is very particular about doing the job right. He will also pick up the trailer after its sand blasted and pull it to his shop (~6 miles) so I do not have to drive down for that. He wanted to do the bunks and lights removal and reinstall as well but I wanted to save were I could.

So in a nut shell it sounds like $700 - $800 for my tandem axle Rage trailer versus the $1000 for your tripple axle Heat trailer is probably what it will cost for a quality job. Did the $1000 include the bunks and lights removal and reinstall? One shop wanted to charge me $600 to just sand blast.

Originally Posted by Young and Dumb
Did you have any luck with local shops in MO? I have a 28' Heat, which has a rusty trailer like yours. I called a place in Wentzville who quoted me $1,000 to sand blast and paint, but the boat has to be off the trailer. I was going to have them do mine, but I was recently laid off.

If you find anyone else better, please let me know.

Thanks,
Old 07-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Rage
What is "trailercoat" and where do you get it?
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...t.do?pid=6758#

My dad and I used it on a 45 Viking back in the early 90's. Viking uses steel frame engine mounts that ALWAYS rust. We sanded the mounts then put silver trailer coat on and rust was never a problem again. The guys that know Vikings were always shocked at the engine room when they saw our boat because no paint that any of them tried would ever last. I was sold on the product since then...
Old 07-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Registered

Rage,

Did you ever get your trailer repainted? I apologize about not getting back to you; I have been slacking around and not checking these forums. Feel free to shoot me an email at [email protected]. I check my emails daily.
Thanks,
Old 08-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Registered

I need to paint an equipment trailer and wonder aobut using valspar tractor enamel with a hardener. What do you guys recommend?
http://doitbest.com/Gloss+enamel-Val...sku-774648.dib